Let’s talk fridges!

for anything else that doesn't fit.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

Let’s talk fridges!

Post by RosalieL »

My fridge is sick. Not dead, but sick. It is currently sitting at about 15deg according to an alcohol thermometer and 11deg according to the temperature sensor. I discovered this when I came in on Monday morning after heart dissections Thurs and Fri and me being off with sick kids on Friday. I knew I would come back to a mess, but ugh, the smell!!

So anyway, my question to you all is, should I go for a full size fridge or do you think a bar fridge is adequate (small school)? At the moment we store iodine solutions and H202 in it on one shelf. Other than that, it is empty. We have a separate upright freezer with drawers that has all the ice, rats, gross leftovers waiting for bin day etc and so I don’t need freezer space in the new fridge. I would LOVE to have a bit of extra bench space and I would be able to put the microwave (that I can’t currently use because there are no power points near it) on top of the fridge and free up that bit of bench. Do you think I would regret a smaller fridge down the track? What pracs might I be forgetting that would take up lots of fridge space?

Anyone know of any good deals at the moment? I’m about to start looking at prices online…
gotolady

Re: Let’s talk fridges!

Post by gotolady »

Good morning RosalieI,
I always think it's best to go as big as you can afford and fit in your prep. room space. There always seems to be a prac that needs to be cooled down and the teachers put the experiments into the fridge, not to mention the fruit and vegetables that are bought and then need to be kept for another day. Also don't forget agar pracs that take up space.
Good luck
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We brought from 2nd fridges, damaged on the outside. We really did not mind a scratch or damaged on the outside.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

I have a fridge freezer, but would love a bigger freezer section, and a bar fridge for anything the kids will put in their mouths, straws, cotton buds etc. and my food. During covid we had to live and work as alone as possible, so I still use it for my stuff.