Azure Virtual Desktop to access Faculty and User drives for DET staff

for anything else that doesn't fit.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Azure Virtual Desktop to access Faculty and User drives for DET staff

Post by bigmack »

Some of you may already be using this but for those that haven't heard about it , it is a "virtual Desktop " that allows yo to access all the Faculty and staff drives from home for DET staff .Perfect for this lockdown where we are expected to work from home .
Our Chemical registers and SDS copies were/are stored on the Faculty drives so it means I can rebuild this from home .

I am not sure if it will work on a personal device but certainly ones that have the DET windows 10 image will work .You can install it at work or at home .
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... ndows-7-10

you will need to have mobile phone reception to receive security pin during installation and occasionally to identify you when using it .

It works well , I used it for several days last week while rebuilding our lost Chemical register on Excel where I was able to retrieve earlier copies I found on my "U-drive" and save them to the "T-drive" .I had one or too quirky things happen with it but overall , it is a blessing .

It will time out , so if you go for a break , you need to sign back in and it leaves off where you last were .
It also has "teams" on it which is handy as it was not on my PC.

Incidentally , I took my work PC home as I also had a lot of work in progress on it .
bigmack

Re: Azure Virtual Desktop to access Faculty and User drives for DET staff

Post by bigmack »

OK , I just had a little cry .

""Normally""" when it times out , when you log back into it , it reloads everything and it looks just where you left it . Alas , today ,I stopped for lunch break.
When I come back , the document I had been working on all morning was gone :mad:

So from now on , I'll be pressing Save before having a break :thumbup:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Post by Merilyn1 »

Not sure if this helps, we've been advised by our IT people that if we do access our server remotely it is best to download the document, work on it, then save it back to the server when we've finished, rather than working on the document straight from the server.
Different systems but I'd imagine it to be the same thinking.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Probably not a bad idea Merilyn .But I am still working on the bloody Chem register. We have the SDSs stored on the School server so I have had to continually upload Copies of SDSs and link to them in the spread sheet so alas I have had to basically be working in remote access mode the entire time .
Oh my god , it so time consuming . I started it last year by doing all of science , this time round , I'm adding TAS , the Farm and Home science . It is amazing how many products have no, or out of date SDS's on the web . I'm constantly having to go back to Chemwatch to get re issued ones.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

It is the best thing ever! Yes, I can confirm that it works on private devices. My home computer is far superior to anything the dept issues to a SAO so I didn't bother asking for a school computer.

It is so handy being able to access documents directly from the server, and being able to save them there again once you have finished working on them. Previously I have saved onto my google drive and then downloaded onto the server next time I was back at school.

Don't get me started on the farm SDS's bigmack, it is unbelievable how many are just not available!!!! Or are about 10 years old with no update.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

melsid wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 09:14
Don't get me started on the farm SDS's bigmack, it is unbelievable how many are just not available!!!! Or are about 10 years old with no update.
Just on that - contact the manufacturer as they have a legal obligation to provide a valid SDS. If they are no longer in business, the chemical/pesticide needs to be disposed of and replaced with a product that does have a SDS. Pesticides typically do not last 10 years. They will often have a use by date but usually a manufactured date. Anything older than 5 years should not be used, I'd actually be happier chucking it out after 3 years. The effectiveness of old pesticides is severely reduced and can lead to resistance problems. Something you just don't want to have to deal with as it can have far reaching problems.