Ordering for Practical Lessons

for anything else that doesn't fit.
Nichole
School: Bonnyrigg High School
State/Location: NSW

Ordering for Practical Lessons

Post by Nichole »

Hi Everyone
My teachers want to know how other teachers order they practical lessons. Here they write it into a book usually 24 hrs in Advance but they are wanting a system where they can send it to me electronically and maybe even record data on what's being used and how often
any info would be greatly appreciated
gotolady

Re: Ordering for Practical Lessons

Post by gotolady »

Hi Nichole,
We use riskassess. It's an electronic system that the teachers use to generate orders and i print off in the prep room. It records how much is used and when. It costs but is worth it as it registors time and date of lodging (stops teachers saying that they had ordered equipment earlier etc)
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Riskassess here, too. It also has a schedule page where you see what is ordered each day. The labelling function is worth the subscription fee, alone.
Not a problem here, but at my last school the date and time "stamping" was a wonderful tool!
You can get a one month free trial - just go to their website riskassess.com.au - to sign up.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Love it
vickir

Post by vickir »

Love RiskAssess, generates a risk assessment for the prac, lists requirements for prac, has a laboratory schedule, can search for 'old' pracs, generates labels for solutions. I think the cost is approximately $200.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

It's worth every penny.
Nichole

Post by Nichole »

Thanks Everyone will let the staff and head teacher know and they can discuss it at the next meeting seems exactly what they want
macca

Post by macca »

new record for this year, without Riskassess I think I'd be lost. Since 9 am yesterday to 3.30 next Friday I have 57 pracs booked so far. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Oh yuk! Dare I share? 109 pracs - this year. But, I am also the TAS assistant, visual arts and the new addition - WHS.
Next year will be busier though, so am making use of the time to order equipment, get systems in place etc.
macca

Post by macca »

Merilyn1 wrote:Oh yuk! Dare I share? 109 pracs - this year. But, I am also the TAS assistant, visual arts and the new addition - WHS.
Next year will be busier though, so am making use of the time to order equipment, get systems in place etc.
in one week? that's ridiculous. I'm only science thank god, but WHS rep as well.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

No, Macca - that's the whole year :giggle: Don't mean to gloat
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

Risk Assess - all the way ... when i started here it was a manual order slip pinned on a board for the day and period ... I have many cheat sheets and notes I have done up you are welcome to ... and even if you want to pop over and check ours out - we have just hit a year and teachers now reaping reward of programming and using risk assess ...
With thanks Kate :coffee:
Nichole

Post by Nichole »

Thanks Lorikeet if they decide on that's what they want I will definitely take you up on the offer 8-) :D
Nichole

Post by Nichole »

Hi just got risk assess trial for 2 weeks and was wondering if you have to print out whole risk assessment sheet to send to the class or can you just print out the items needed for the prac, teachers don't want a whole A4 sheet on the trolley they only have a A5 sheet with items ordered on it now
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I print out the whole risk assessment and the teachers (sometimes) read out the risks to the class. I'm not sure how many of them actually read it before they sign it, but I make sure it's in front of them when they start the prac.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Two schools of thought on this - not printing saves paper and Riskassess have multiple back up copies of our files so a copy is being kept. Riskassess also recommend backing up at your school as well. When I download the pdf file, I save it to a folder of RAs and will save this folder to the cloud storage.
The other thought is to print off and save the hard copy.
I do print them off, give it to the teacher with the prac. There is then no dispute over what I've provided and what they ordered - it is in their face. I am also able to make hand written notes eg materials in fridge; this is all that is left etc. I then file this copy away after the prac. It is also giving a summary of the hazards of each item, which is not a substitute for reading the SDS, but does give some brief information.
Interestingly, the WHS auditor last week, wanted to know if I kept hard copies of the risk assessments.
macca

Post by macca »

I do all of the above except file the hard copy, I print out the weekly schedule summary and file.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

I print out a hard copy but it stays in the prep room on the side of the compactus - the sheets were forever getting lost or damaged. After the prac is finished with I file these in a folder. I also print up the weekly schedule and file these with the prac orders.

I've printed up A5 signs and laminated them, I write the teacher, prac name, scheduling info & anything else they need to know on these in whiteboard marker. I have printed FINISHED on the back so once the prac is over, the teachers just need to turn the signs over and I can pack it all away.
Nichole

Post by Nichole »

Head teacher has decided against rick assess reason being liability if the wrong level of risk is picked (low,High Etc) and something happens who is liable also no training on helping which risk level to pick thanks everyone for your input :-(
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Crazy. Have the staff been trained in doing their own risk assessments? Will these be any better than the Riaskassess version, in regard to the level of risk? If they think they can do it better, by all means let them at it. All you can do is make comments if risk assessments are not being done. I would strongly suggest that you do your own risk assessment for your part of the process. Will the teachers be using a template for the RAs? Maybe you could add to this template, if it exists, a section for your own risk assessment. This is not the RA for the prac, that is the teacher's responsibility, it is only for your tasks.
It sounds very frustrating. A situation where some teachers may need some training in risk management, including those making the decisions on what system to implement.