Labelling

for anything else that doesn't fit.
gotolady
State/Location: NSW

Labelling

Post by gotolady »

Not sure if this is the right forum but if any one going to the SLAMN conference hears anything definitive about what we are supposed to be doing about this ##@$%$# labelling mess, can they please pass on the info. I am not privileged enough to be going this year but to those who are, enjoy it. I found it immensely informative last year and such a great forum for meeting like minded labbies.
ferret

Re: Labelling

Post by ferret »

Hi
If you are working in a DoE school there was a directive in schoolbiz Week 7 Term 2 in school administration category. "Schools are requested not to undertake any relabeling of stock". Additional information will be published in 2017.However I have relabeled my stock with a GHS label form chemwatch on the back of the bottle and left the original label on the front.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

gotolady wrote:.... if any one going to the SLAMN conference hears anything definitive about what we are supposed to be doing about this ##@$%$# labelling mess, can they please pass on the info.
Well from what I undestood Alan said was ... suprise suprise .... we don't need to label anything until advised next year .
Even though our school will be getting a WHS audit done in the near future after hereing what Alan said and questioning him after I am quite confident to to do nothing more regarding labelling .
I asked Alan about dropper labelling and he said that the existing labeling was more than sufficient .At present we have those old ones that have risk and safety phrases .Although not GHS they are sufficient.

He is a very practical man and understands the implications all this has on us .
Also he said that they are in the process of printing suitable labels which will be sent to public schools . ...... so if you are in the public schools don't panic .... help is on its way from the sound of things .
Another thing Alan said was that if we / teachers follow the CSIS and don't use more than the recommended amounts that there is no need for teachers to perform Risk assessments on every prac ..... Hmmm .... are we all making more work for ourselves than is really needed . :whistling2:

Also met J and melsid here today so hopefully they can elaborate or correct me if I mis-interpreted things .
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Thank you so much Bigmack for posting this. Did he say anything about the new CSIS?
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

You can only do what you are told, but it always surprises me that DET schools seem to be able to operate outside of the WHS laws that apply to everyone else.
MissKat
Job Title: Science Technician
School: Cranbrook School
Suburb: Bellevue Hill

Post by MissKat »

I remember having a science audit before I left by the Catholic Education Office, and the science officer said something along the lines of schools being under a different umbrella of things and don't need to do (or parts of) the new labelling. That was after I relabelled everything!
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I don't think Safework thinks schools have special provisions! But, as I always say, if you do what you have been instructed to do by your management, you will be safe. You just have to make sure you are working to your guidelines and not someone else's.