Storing Alligator wires

for anything else that doesn't fit.
remlap12
State/Location: NSW

Storing Alligator wires

Post by remlap12 »

Hi all,
I'm wondering how everyone stores their alligator wires?
I'm in the process of re-arranging my prep rooms, hopefully to be more organised and user friendly! [-o<
At the moment they hang on wire coat hangers, but they get into a terrible mess! :-({|=
Appreciate all ideas :thumbup:
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
Laverne

Re: Storing Alligator wires

Post by Laverne »

Hi remlap12

You could bundle them together with a bulldog clip in the middle with a piece of string looped through the clip and then hang the string from a nail.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

I have a board about a meter long mounted on the wall that has slots sawed into it. The connecting leads hang off that. You can fit about 10 per slot. I store the alligator clips in a separate container. Works well.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

We have 8 prac groups in each class, so I've put 8 leads into the rectangle take away containers. They nearly always come back in a mess that I have to sort out, but at least it is easy to stack them neatly on the shelf once I've tidied them up. I like the clip idea, though.
All my leads are now just banana plugs which slot into alligator clips if they need them. I store the alligator clips in tall specimen jars - at least 16 to a jar, so there is enough for the 8 leads.
lab-woman

Post by lab-woman »

Ive found the best way to store them is attached to a wire coathanger. Keeps them untangled and you can see easily how many are on the hanger. Then just hang the coathanger up. Easy Peasy.
phillip o

Post by phillip o »

I wrap them around themselves in groups of 8 (or whatever number you need). It makes it easy to store them and to send out. You have to sort them back out when they come back, but sometimes the boys at least try to copy. I don't have the space to hang them!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes we also use the wire coathanger. Clip the bottom alligator clip up the wire so they do not get tangled.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Debbie
State/Location: QLD

Post by Debbie »

leads2.jpg
I use these storage boxes I got from Bunnings. The teacher gives each group a drawer which has leads,light bulbs and a switch. Then checks them as they are returned. I keep the same colour lead in each drawer so it is easy to see if they have been completely messed up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lfn

Post by lfn »

We use wire coathanger as well and hang it at the back of emergency shower in each lab.
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

I use freezer bag ties, to bundle wires in groups of 8 and 16.
Xe, SD, KOPR
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Hmm....My wife is a Physics teacher and dodgy leads are one of her pet hates ....which becomes a problem of mine ...strangely enough... :whistling2: ...whinge ..whinge ..".Oh really darling ...you spent the whole period walking around each group trying to work out why there light bulbs won't light up and in 99% of the cases it was due to dodgy leads "

So then we had a quandary......She out of her own pocket purchased some really good quality gold plated banana plugs and some really good quality flexible lead and I made ( at home in my spare time ( before I was a Lab Tech ...well I was a TV technician ) ..... :crazy: ...a class set of 64 leads ) . She keeps these in bundles of eight in a bag . Each lesson she tells her students about how precious her leads are ( and that her husband spent many hour making them so that they would have the best chance of understanding electrical principles ) " and if they want to spark them together and wear off the gold plating " they can but they will end up like all the other crappy leads that the students in other classes have to use . ......so far these leads have lasted about 6 years and are almost in the same condition ...she has clip on banana to crocodile clips when it is needed .

The other classes have to use the standard leads . These have a crocodile clip at one end and a banana at the other .( This is because I share this job ) These are clipped onto coathangers . I try to replace the Crocodile ends as often as I can .( I am not the main purchasing officer ) I have two main sets , one for light bulbs and switches which I try to encourage the teachers to use only for this so they stay clean . :banghead: The crocodile clips which are showing signs of corrosion are downgraded to the electrolysis experiments where they are clipped onto "things that make them go Hmmm"
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Some great food for thought!
Cheers :-)
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

We are in a dither with ours also .. We only have the leads - they dont have alligator clips on them ... So I have bundled 5 each into a pullback clip - however its not working ... and grabbing a bundle of 5 and looping into themselves unravel ... Just seeing if any other ideas are out there ... K8
With thanks Kate :coffee:
LeeBee
State/Location: WA

Post by LeeBee »

Wiltronics supply super quality, very flexible 4mm stackable banana leads in a variety of colours and lengths.
Yes they are a bit expensive but worth every cent, never had one fail. Just send alligator clips out if required. The leads come back in a big bunch but are really easy to untangle without the clips on them. I just store in big bunches on coat racks, too easy! I would never use home made leads ever again.. Grr
The product code is LE5410
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

Lorikeet wrote:We are in a dither with ours also .. We only have the leads - they dont have alligator clips on them ... So I have bundled 5 each into a pullback clip - however its not working ... and grabbing a bundle of 5 and looping into themselves unravel ... Just seeing if any other ideas are out there ... K8
Ok so a year later and I am no longer doing this - gave up they are now all piled in a large box as some teachers want 5 some want 8 some want 10 etc ... so when they order takes 5 mins to count out bundles needed and when they come back in a big mess thats how they are put away till next order ... LOL
With thanks Kate :coffee: