estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah
State/Location: NSW

can anyone recommend a dishwasher for science

Post by estelle »

Hi All,
My dishwasher that is about 12 years old isn't working like it should anymore.
Admin seems to think that I need practice washing up.... That's not going to happen..
So, if anyone can recommend a dishwasher that hopefully will last as long as the simpson that I had, I would love to hear from you.
Thanks
Estelle
Wolfgang
State/Location: VIC

Re: can anyone recommend a dishwasher for science

Post by Wolfgang »

G'day all,

We are looking at purchasing a dishwasher for the prep room and I would be grateful for any info or experiences you can relate or recommendations you can make. One caveat - we aren't interested in the bench top models.

Many thanks,

Craig Thomas
Laboratory Manager
Charles La Trobe College
kjt

Post by kjt »

We use both professional and household dishwashers. If you have the budget, I highly recommend the Miele. We have had to replace our standard washers but the Miele shows very little wear in 6 years even though it is used more frequently. I believe the labour/time saving of the Miele makes the extra money worthwhile.

Miele Prefessional models:

PROS: flexible layout, you can purchase test tube baskets, and racks etc for most glassware, including all sizes of volumetric flasks and cylinders. Excellent clean on fast (46min) cycle, including permanent marker on glassware and dirty test-tubes. Can be unpacked dry within minutes, baskets/trays can be lifted out of washer and carried into labs to unpack. Uses standard washing powder and makes own water for rinse cycle. CORROSION RESISTANT.

CONS: Very expensive to purchase, several thousand $ (but lasts much longer than standard dishwasher).

Standard household washers (LG, F&P, Simpson):

PROS: lower cost to purchase

CONS: Difficult to get good clean in narrow glassware (test tubes, measuring cylinders). Layout not flexible. Often have to pre-clean some glassware. Cleaning ability is related to packing arrangement. Corrodes quickly if chemicals left in contact (avoidable with care).
labperson
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Cabramatta High School
Suburb: Cabramatta

Post by labperson »

Don't buy Fisher and Paykel. Had heaps of trouble with it. Motor replaced, leaking etc. Fisher and paykel replaced it and have since found out that our model has been recalled
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Which model please for Fisher & Paykel.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
tuesday
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tuesday »

HI , I managered to get our school to buy us a Miele dishwasher for scince labs and never had a problem since. Since most of our AP's teach maths, I drew up a letter with lots of figures and stuff to prove how much money they would save in the long run and the ratio of students to the amount of prac work .
I love it when something goes our way :). We have over 1200 students with 4 Jnr Labs and 2 Snr labs, so we never have an empty lab unless a year group is away
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know how things go. : :-)
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Admin have approved the purchase of the Smeg GW1060. Looking forward to using it!
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Has anyone heard of ILVE as a dishwasher brand? I’ve been doing a spot of wishful thinking and came across this brand. I had never heard of it before. Do any of you have one (home or work) and can recommend them?