Hot Water Bath

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Hot Water Bath

Post by Wayne »

We are looking at getting some (or only one) more water baths. What do people recommend? We currently have one like the one in the attached photo.

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Hot Water Bath

Post by Merilyn1 »

We have a similar one as this but found it a bit small, although two might work depending on your class sizes. I just bought a Ratek 12L water bath. I was going to buy a Thermoline but needed it in a hurry and had to buy the pricier one. In hindsight, the 16L may have been a better option but with using the one we already have and the new one we will easily get by.
I think the Ratek model is more compact than the Thermoline, taller with a smaller footprint which will make it easier to store.

And the irony to my story: I bought the dearer waterbath as the supplier said they would have it in three days or so, but weeks for the Thermoline. The freight company took over two weeks to deliver it. Their excuse? The flooding in NSW! We hadn't had significant rain since early April, two weeks before dispatch. What was going to be their next excuse? COVID? Bushfires? Not the supplier's fault but the freight company was certainly not being honest. Ended up arriving the day after I needed it. Probably won't seriously use it again for another year :(
Yuks
Job Title: Laboratory assistant
School: SMMC
State/Location: ACT

Post by Yuks »

We bought from Westlab 4years ago and working really well. I checked the current item stocks then couldn't find same item what we have but....
https://www.westlab.com.au/20l-reciproc ... 30-x-310mm
looks like this one but without shaker. RATEK, WB Series-Analogue Heated Water Bath.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

We still have the old copper bowls with graded interlocking copper rings. Half the time we just put a big beaker on a low heat on a hotplate, and use that.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Merilyn1 wrote: 17 May 2022, 08:53 We have a similar one as this but found it a bit small, although two might work depending on your class sizes. I just bought a Ratek 12L water bath. I was going to buy a Thermoline but needed it in a hurry and had to buy the pricier one. In hindsight, the 16L may have been a better option but with using the one we already have and the new one we will easily get by.
I think the Ratek model is more compact than the Thermoline, taller with a smaller footprint which will make it easier to store.

And the irony to my story: I bought the dearer waterbath as the supplier said they would have it in three days or so, but weeks for the Thermoline. The freight company took over two weeks to deliver it. Their excuse? The flooding in NSW! We hadn't had significant rain since early April, two weeks before dispatch. What was going to be their next excuse? COVID? Bushfires? Not the supplier's fault but the freight company was certainly not being honest. Ended up arriving the day after I needed it. Probably won't seriously use it again for another year :(
Freight companies are shocking at the moment! How frustrating!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thank you for the recommendations everyone. I might try and get a Ratek one.
remlap12

water bath

Post by remlap12 »

Hi all,

I need to purchase a water bath.
There's one that all the suppliers seem to sell that needs a hotplate to operate, are there any that operate independently?
What are your suggestions for a good but reasonably priced unit?
Under or around $1000.00? :thumbup:

Thanks
Helen.
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School

Re: water bath

Post by Anna Z »

remlap12 wrote: 23 May 2022, 14:40 Hi all,

There's one that all the suppliers seem to sell that needs a hotplate to operate, are there any that operate independently?

Thanks
Helen.
What size are you after ?, everyone above appears happy with the Ratek one, we also have these at our school and would purchase again.
remlap12

Re: water bath

Post by remlap12 »

Anna Z wrote: 23 May 2022, 15:30
remlap12 wrote: 23 May 2022, 14:40 Hi all,

Thanks
Helen.
What size are you after ?, everyone above appears happy with the Ratek one, we also have these at our school and would purchase again.
Hi Anna,

My teachers aren't really sure......maybe a 12 litre....we have a very small budget :redcard: so I think the Ratek might be out of our league :cry2:
Thank you!
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
McKinnon
School: McKinnon

Post by McKinnon »

I have bought some Kogan Sous Vide Precision Cooker--mine only cost $80 prices have increased
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smar ... 0NEALw_wcB

I bought 2 and set them up on large white tubs for biology activities as they often ask for water baths in class of 3 different temperatures
Anna Z
School: DET Secondary School

Post by Anna Z »

clever idea
Rowanne
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St Joseph's School Port Lincoln
State/Location: SA

Post by Rowanne »

I'm about to purchase one of these, no idea if they are in stock or not. it is to replace a nanotech hotplate model. Haines Educational also stock them
https://www.teaching.com.au/product/SER1052922#
https://www.chemtalk.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=451/water-bath-8l ... d-lid.html
you can get them without the stirrer as well for less
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I've just ordered a Ratek water bath today with free shipping and a free lid. Now just need to wait for it to arrive.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Wayne wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 12:09 I've just ordered a Ratek water bath today with free shipping and a free lid. Now just need to wait for it to arrive.
I saw that offer Wayne. If only I had just waited...
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Merilyn1 wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 07:49
Wayne wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 12:09 I've just ordered a Ratek water bath today with free shipping and a free lid. Now just need to wait for it to arrive.
I saw that offer Wayne. If only I had just waited...
It was perfect timing for me! :clap3:
elaruu
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: SS

Post by elaruu »

McKinnon wrote: 31 May 2022, 09:04 I have bought some Kogan Sous Vide Precision Cooker--mine only cost $80 prices have increased
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smar ... 0NEALw_wcB

I bought 2 and set them up on large white tubs for biology activities as they often ask for water baths in class of 3 different temperatures
Yes, we use something similar (ours are Aucma brand, from Amazon I think). They work well and soooo much cheaper, so you can have multiple temperatures without the expense.