Copper Sulfate Crystals Take Home?

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Soozle
State/Location: NSW

Copper Sulfate Crystals Take Home?

Post by Soozle »

Hello everyone,

I'd like your help please.

We have a new teacher and she wanted to make borax crystals with the whole class (horror!)
She said she always did it at her last school! I explained it is Teacher only and may damage fertility etc and she made copper sulfate and alum potassium sulfate ones instead. But she gave them all to take home! I have never in 20 years known a teacher to give them to the students. I usually recycle the copper sulfate and keep any waste. Risk Assess says less than 1g day of solid in garbage.

What are your thoughts?

TIA
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Copper Sulfate Crystals Take Home?

Post by Merilyn1 »

No way. Never. We have a rule that nothing is to leave the lab unless it is paper (being put into their books) or sherbet (but I nag the teacher about making small quantities).
As for copper sulfate (or any other chemical) - we can't guarantee that the students will handle it safely outside or on the bus home. What would happen if a younger sibling were to ingest it at home? So many risks that the school would still be responsible for. We wouldn't even let kids take alum crystals home.

Oh that whole "at my last school" thing annoys me. I have heard it too many times. If I believed that I would be thinking that every other school has no risk management practices in place. Seriously guys? Don't treat us like idiots!
Soozle

Post by Soozle »

Exactly I feel the same as you!

And I keep hearing that "at my last school" thing and it is frustrating so thanks for your reply Merilyn!

Appreciate your help.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

That's absolutely something that should not happen. Even small amounts of copper going down a sink contaminates sewage sludge so badly that it cannot be used as fertiliser. And a WHS nightmare for the school if something goes wrong.
Soozle

Post by Soozle »

I was taken aback yesterday and I'm grateful for your help. I explained this to the teacher & my Head Teacher and the crystals were all returned to the prep room! Phew.
Thanks
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Marama T wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 09:25 That's absolutely something that should not happen. Even small amounts of copper going down a sink contaminates sewage sludge so badly that it cannot be used as fertiliser. And a WHS nightmare for the school if something goes wrong.
That's interesting - yes, copper can be toxic to plants, in fact we have a student looking at this for her project. But copper compounds can be used as a relatively safe fungicide (safe when compared to the options). I guess it comes down to the quantity in the sludge.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

Merilyn1 wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 08:32
Marama T wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 09:25 That's absolutely something that should not happen. Even small amounts of copper going down a sink contaminates sewage sludge so badly that it cannot be used as fertiliser. And a WHS nightmare for the school if something goes wrong.
That's interesting - yes, copper can be toxic to plants, in fact we have a student looking at this for her project. But copper compounds can be used as a relatively safe fungicide (safe when compared to the options). I guess it comes down to the quantity in the sludge.
Oh, I didn't think of that. Maybe we need a botanist to explain.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Got onto this thread two days late. Absolutely NO to copper sulfate crystals going home and yes it has happened, one child's younger sibling did think that the copper sulfate crystal was a lolly and ingested it. Can't remember which state it was or what the final outcome was but since learning of that particular incident absolutely no copper crystals have left the laboratories to go home with our students. I hope you did get all the crystals back from the students. They can be a tricky little lot if they think something is pretty and awesome.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Not allowed to take any chemicals home. If they want to make borax crystals they can do it at home as well as copper sulphate ones. All this stuff is easily available to the public. Personally I don't even trust them to behave with sherbet, and just said no to taking their slime home. It ends up all over the school.