Mopping the ceiling, anyone?

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College
State/Location: NSW

Mopping the ceiling, anyone?

Post by Marama T »

Head teacher puts on a big show every year for the year 7 experience day. One part of the extravaganza this year was elephant's toothpaste - but it was raining and we had to do it inside. I gave him a smaller reaction vessel, but he used the same amounts of reactants. Voila! Elephant's toothpaste on the ceiling! The kids loved it, but now there are iodine stains where surely no iodine stain should be. Heh heh :cheesy:
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Re: Mopping the ceiling, anyone?

Post by RosalieL »

Hahahaha at my old school I was playing around with mentos and diet coke delivery methods... I had one (using foil) that was working quite well and stopped to chat to a teacher in the science staff room and didn't realise I was fiddling with my contraption! The seal broke, mentos fell in and I left diet coke all over the place! It was still on the ceiling when I left a few years later. The room has since been converted to a science lab so I am guessing the stains are long gone now! Chalk it up to experience and leave it there for the memories!
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I nearly did the same thing with elephants toothpaste in the prep room. How it didn't hit the ceiling is beyond me. I was trying out a few different recipes and an old labbie friend, well respected as a WHS officer, gave me a pretty good looking recipe. Yeah, it was awesome. But definitely not one for inside.
Suffice to say, the teachers never got that recipe!
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Back in the 80's I worked in a commercial lab (fruit Juice), I came back from lunch and the pressure cooker had been used to make plum jam (YUK MICRO PLATES) the lid was embedded in the ceiling with plum jam from A to B. The Chemist just looked at my and laughed gave me the afternoon off, the guy who did it cleaned it.

We've done the exploding gas bubbles on Year 6 Day and left burn marks all over the ceiling, teachers are now on strict instructions as to the height it's held at.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

Our favourite game is to see who can add another stain to the ceiling in the labs! So far elephant's toothpaste has done the ceilings in 3 labs, and harvesting oxygen has done the ceiling in another.
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

We have dried egg on ours !!! eggs exploding after being forgotten about boiling. Left it there for the memories.