Safety data sheets

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Safety data sheets

Post by macca »

Anyone else having trouble with Chemwatch, I put a mini SDS out with each practical as required. I'm just going through my Chemical Register trying to update any that are 5 years out of date.

Most of the SDS I'm looking at haven't been updated on Chemwatch majority out by more than 5 years 6 month normally they are pretty good.

Still catching up from lockdowns????
littltesttube

Re: Safety data sheets

Post by littltesttube »

Hi Macca I have been updating mine and have not had many problems overall
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Hi Macca,
Go to the ChemSupply website. You don't have to login. You can access Safety Data Sheets for most of the chemicals that you would have in stock.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Is Chemwatch the only place to find mini sds?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes I think so.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Lyn wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 17:33 Hi Macca,
Go to the ChemSupply website. You don't have to login. You can access Safety Data Sheets for most of the chemicals that you would have in stock.
I don't know if ths still applies I have used in the past.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

macca wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 12:47
Lyn wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 17:33 Hi Macca,
I don't know if ths still applies I have used in the past.
Yeah I've used this for the full SDS but I was hoping to find some mini SDS for a couple of things purely for convenience.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Mini SDS are not recognised by Safework as being a SDS, so they aren't much good on their own. You still need to have the correct SDS.
Apart from a mini SDS not having all the required information, they are produced (by Chemwatch) a third party. The SDS must be provided by the manufacturer or supplier of the chemical.
If you want to, it is acceptable to attach a risk assessment to the front of the manufacturer's or supplier's SDS which summarises things like handling, PPE, spill response. This document can't be used in lieu of the SDS.
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

We use the mini SDS's out on the carts in the class, works well. Teachers are more inclined to pick up a mini SDS than the full one
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

I haven't actually looked at a mini SDS and am aware they don't meet requirements. They would only be in addition and it is for the Woodwork room where they only have a few things and have the SDS available in a folder as well as online but the teacher wanted something that was a bit easier to find the first aid info in a hurry if required. I may just make up a quick access first aid reference sheet for that room's substances (because, you know, we have so much free time and all that!), or use a highlighter to highlight the first aid section of the paper copy of the SDS...
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

That's a good idea. Highlight the first aid and maybe the spill procedures. Invest in some Post-it Flags to indicate those pages. Good time to remind the teacher that they should be referring to the SDS when preparing their risk assessment for the prac, ie reading the SDS before they use the product. But good luck on that one!