plooyen
Job Title: Head of Science
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

how do you identify classroom glassware

Post by plooyen »

Hi all
Setting up 7 science labs with regularly used glassware items.
How do you label your glassware to ensure it gets returned to the correct lab.
It needs to be dishwasher proof
Olden days it was spots of paint but prefer to have something quicker and easier

What do you do in your space?
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: how do you identify classroom glassware

Post by Merilyn1 »

I don't worry about glassware being returned to specific labs. I just work on each lab has a certain number of items, have some spares in the prep room and top up from those if the other items are being washed. This reduces your stress if you are busy and fall behind in washing up - anything can go in any lab. If you were matching them up you'll be pulling out your hair in busy weeks.

Depends on your budget how much you have. I have worked at a school where I had just 10 of everything in each lab (8 stations and two spares) and a scant number of spares in the prep room. Here it is a bit fluid - I don't keep specific numbers, just heaps of each size of beakers - 150ml, 250ml and 500mL. The Chem lab also has 10 x 1L beakers. Test tubes are just a tub that slots into the drawer and I keep that full. From memory (it's been so long) it holds about 40 TTs. Also have conical flasks in the labs. They like the plastic measuring cylinders around here, but I do have glass ones in the prep room if anyone specifically needs them.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Every thing even glass ware was ordered. When our new principal started, he did not want any thing stored in the classroom, due insurance. So not a thing was stored in the class room, teacher knew where the glass ware was stored in the prep room. Must say it worked will, once I got use to it all.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

Merilyn1 wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 09:25 I don't worry about glassware being returned to specific labs. I just work on each lab has a certain number of items, have some spares in the prep room and top up from those if the other items are being washed. This reduces your stress if you are busy and fall behind in washing up - anything can go in any lab. If you were matching them up you'll be pulling out your hair in busy weeks.

Depends on your budget how much you have. I have worked at a school where I had just 10 of everything in each lab (8 stations and two spares) and a scant number of spares in the prep room. Here it is a bit fluid - I don't keep specific numbers, just heaps of each size of beakers - 150ml, 250ml and 500mL. The Chem lab also has 10 x 1L beakers. Test tubes are just a tub that slots into the drawer and I keep that full. From memory (it's been so long) it holds about 40 TTs. Also have conical flasks in the labs. They like the plastic measuring cylinders around here, but I do have glass ones in the prep room if anyone specifically needs them.
^^ We do this also. We do have some glassware specific for some labs but pretty easy to work out. Like in Physics we tend to only have limited glassware...if the trays in there look a little sparse I just fill up from the stash in the prep room.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Yeah I wouldn’t worry about designated labs. Just like the others said, they have a set amount and as items are cleaned they go back wherever they fit.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Labbie wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 10:13 Every thing even glass ware was ordered.
That's how we do it here too Labbie.

Advantages are that teachers get clean glassware for every prac .
They get what they need . Sometimes they need 24 50ml beakers ,sometimes they only need 8 .
I don't need to constantly check labs for missing or misplaced glassware .

My off sider started this .He used to just hand out a whole box ( usually 12) but I find teachers usually ask for multiples of 8 .
It's a work in progress , but I am making boxes of 8 . It's a simple matter then to grab a box and put it on the trolley . :thumbup:

Do the same thing with measuring Cylinders . and as they lay down in the box , less chance of brakage. :whistling2:
Beakers.jpg
Measuring Cylinders.jpg
We do however , leave Retort stands, tripods and gauze mats in each classroom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Same, all glassware is in prep.room ordered with pracs through RiskAssess. Kids have to rinse free of residue before teacher returns to prep. room. 90% of pracs go out on trollies our prep. room is central to labs. Bunsen, tripod, gauze, heat mat, retort stand, boss head, clamp and test tube racks are the only thing at work stations in labs.

Works so well. Have a dishwasher just a house hold one. I can also keep track on breakages; as they happen so I don't have to do a full stocktake every year. Win Win
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

macca wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 09:05 Same, all glassware is in prep.room ordered with pracs through RiskAssess. Kids have to rinse free of residue before teacher returns to prep. room. 90% of pracs go out on trollies our prep. room is central to labs. Bunsen, tripod, gauze, heat mat, retort stand, boss head, clamp and test tube racks are the only thing at work stations in labs.

Works so well. Have a dishwasher just a house hold one. I can also keep track on breakages; as they happen so I don't have to do a full stocktake every year. Win Win
Macca, what about residues like copper sulfate which shouldn't go down the sink?
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

We had waste bottles that went out when required with a funnel and they tipped out the beaker contents into that and gave a quick rinse with a distilled water squirt bottle.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes Bigmack it was worked so well for many a year now, win win. Copper sulfate should be evaporated, and put into a jar.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

marama

send in waste beakers marked with which chemicals, kids pour into there, then rinse. Anything that can't be comes back to me to clean up.
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School

Post by Anna Z »

We couldn't do the whole glassware out on the trolley and it comes back, we had 13 pracs running today over 2 floors, it would have been a nightmare. I do love how you guys have it so sorted that it works for you though :) Saves the annual stocktake :)
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland

Post by mtg »

When we designed our new science space (with very limited room) we made stations with a sink 2 x bunsen outlets, power points and also terminals connected to my work spot, under their benches are cupboards with most of the equipment all classes would use. Expensive equipment must be requested. I also put out a waste beaker. There is a big double sink with hot and cold water down the back, the dishwasher is in my space though. Not perfect but given our lack of space it works OK. I have 2 more rooms which have no sinks, or bunsens, ridiculous! We have a lot of hotplates.