Lab Faucets

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Lab Faucets

Post by bigmack »

Our Labs have these ridiculous faucets fitted .
Apparently the original plans had the tapered types to for hoses etc but when the labs were fitted out they installed these useless things .

The end of the Faucet ( red arrow points to ) is crimped on but spins around so that when you use a hose adaptor , water sprays out the gap .
Faucets.jpg
For years we have had to tape them up in insulation tape so that we can use condensers or buchner funnel vacuum pumps but they still spray water everywhere and blow off .
Taped up.jpg
The teachers benches and my preproom has a Dual Faucet with the stupid thing but also the tapered type .
Dual.jpg
My Ht and principal are not interested in changing the whole Faucet as they are apparently several hundred dollars each .

So my question is , does anyone else have these and how do you deal with them ?
has anyone found a cheap modification to fit a tapered fitting ?
I.m tempted to cut the bloody end off them .....such a mess everytime they are used ....not to mention the teacher bitching ....which is fair enough :thumbup: :crazy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Re: Lab Faucets

Post by mtg »

Cut them off and see if west lab has a hose to fit. I have stupid big tapered ones that normal hoses are a pain to get over so I use west labs green flex. For distillation apparatus etc. Maybe ring a plumber first and/or just chop the end off one (accidentally) and see if it works better. I am not an expert but you have to be able to do pracs.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

mtg wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 14:36 Cut them off and see if west lab has a hose to fit. I have stupid big tapered ones that normal hoses are a pain to get over so I use west labs green flex. For distillation apparatus etc. Maybe ring a plumber first and/or just chop the end off one (accidentally) and see if it works better. I am not an expert but you have to be able to do pracs.
OK thanks for the push mtg ,
I took to the collar with a Hack saw .Its only soft brass and was off in about a minute. \:D/
Collar off.jpg
I then discovered that the bit under it is a splash filter and it screws off .
Screws off.jpg
It looks like if you had a special tool you could unscrew them .
Splash filter.jpg
If only I can find a screw on hose fitting I'd be Laughing .Anyway, one step closer to a result .

mtg wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 14:36 I am not an expert but you have to be able to do pracs.
Absolutely agree there
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Post by Labbie »

We should call you Mr Sleuth you are very good.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Labbie wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 12:29 We should call you Mr Sleuth you are very good.
Ha Labbie , It's the old TV Technician coming out . Always need to see what the problem is and find a way to fix it .

Turns out they are an aerator and there seems to be a standard size used in Aussie .
I'm looking at these.
25-3g.jpg
They are about $25 and intended to retrofit to kitchen Faucets so you can use a water filter .You unscrew the Aerator and replace it with these .
There is a tap in them which diverts the water to the side spigot.

Got to run it by HT but looks more doable than replacing the whole Faucet and tap assembly.
only issue I can see is the kids might turn the tap while its running and squirt the kid opposite the spigot when its not connected to a hose.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Post by Labbie »

Oh yes I can see that also. Oh want fun. ha ha That look's great well done mr Sleuth.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

20210211_123654.jpg
20210211_123901.jpg
We use these to attach to our taps
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Thanks Cactus that is exactly the sort of thing I'm after . :grin:

I have found a product from Enware and are awaiting a price , but I would love to know where you got them .

Incidentally Enware also have a screw on Vacuum pump which I'm also waiting on a reply about.