Methyl red ...nonhazardous?

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
gotolady
State/Location: NSW

Methyl red ...nonhazardous?

Post by gotolady »

Hi to all,
I am having a problem with sds on methyl red. I printed one off with an issue date 05/09/2018 that has it with a class 9 and pg 111. I just printed one off with an issue date September 2020 and can't find anything about classes or pg on it. has methyl red magically turned non hazardous?
Thanks in advance
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Methyl red ...nonhazardous?

Post by bigmack »

Seems to depend if you have an SDS for a solid or a solution .

for a solid , Chem supply ,Merek and Rowe have it also as Non hazardous and no DG as does Chemwatch.
According to Risk assess , Methyl Red solid is classified as not hazardous , Risk assess has somehow decided it's Environmentally damaging Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.Not sure how they can give it a GHS Hazard if its Non Hazardous according to GHS :whistling2:

However once its a solution it becomes a Hazardous Chemical , the Hazards depend on whether its mixed with ethanol, methanol or Methylated spirits .
gotolady

Post by gotolady »

Thanks bigmack
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

There is something that although a chemical is damaging to the environment, it isn't hazardous because it has not found to be damaging to humans. I think you would find other chemicals in this same group - possibly weak copper sulfate solutions (?)

Always rely on the current SDS from the manufacturer. (not someone else). Chemical classifications do change over time.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Merilyn1 wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 13:26
Always rely on the current SDS from the manufacturer. (not someone else). Chemical classifications do change over time.
Absolutely Merilyn , but in my chemstore I have 3 little jars of Methyl Red from three manufacturers and none of them are around anymore . So sometimes you just have to make an educated guess based on the common grounds of a few SDS's and just pick one that is representative of the populace .
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

If I'm stuck I google, then I google the ingredients, there is usually only a little bit I chuck it in the organic waste container anyway.
Result for what's methyl red made from?
Methyl red is an azo dye consisting of benzoic acid substituted at position 2 by a 4-[(dimethylamino)phenyl]diazenyl group. It has a role as a dye. It is a member of azobenzenes, a monocarboxylic acid and a tertiary amino compound.