A general discussion and Q & A forum.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

identifying acids

Post by mtg »

I have "pickle", an acid powder from the metalwork room. How do I identify it? I would think it was HCl but curiosity has me wanting to prove it.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: identifying acids

Post by Labbie »

Pickling is a metal surface treatment used to remove impurities, such as stains, inorganic contaminants, rust or scale from ferrous metals, copper, precious metals and aluminum alloys. A solution called pickle liquor, which usually contains acid, is used to remove the surface impurities. Wikipedia
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

I know that some Pickle used for stainless steel contains Hydroflouric Acid which is a DET banned chemical .....but its a liquid .

You gave a powder that is added to water to make a pickle solution .

A quick google showed Citric acid and sodium bisulpfate being common .One is food grade , the other is toxic .

Bottom line though to me is if its not labelled , then you have no access to an SDS and it should not be stored or used .
mtg wrote: 23 Jul 2019, 11:34 How do I identify it? I would think it was HCl but curiosity has me wanting to prove it.
You could drop some silver nitrate into a sample . The Chlorine will cause a white precipitate .
Acid test.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

YAY, The "Pickle" is HCl. (AgNO3 test) We used to make up a % to dip metal before enamelling as I recall. Probably same as the powder you get to chlorinate pools. It amazes me how the Art and Metal/Wood work have these sort of labels.