Plastic bottles/jerry cans for solutions

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
sharon barker
State/Location: NSW

Plastic bottles/jerry cans for solutions

Post by sharon barker »

Hi, I'm looking for a cheap supplier of plastic bottles and plastic jerry cans (with handles) for stock solutions, thanks!
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Plastic bottles/jerry cans for solutions

Post by Merilyn1 »

What size were you after? I've had trouble with the taps leaking on the larger containers, so I avoid using them where possible. Last year in my old job we hosted the titration competition and needed 20L of solution so I bought a 20L container from Serrata, put some plumbers tape around the thread before fitting the tap. It was in that container for a few days and I had no problems. I can't remember what it cost, but they do have a good range of different sized containers. I'd imagine all the other suppliers do too, but at the time the HT insisted I buy them from Serrata.
sharon barker

Post by sharon barker »

Does anyone else use People in Plastic? They say they supply Wollonong Uni. I'm after 1L and 2.5L plastic bottles with inbuilt handles. They have some D.G. Class ones about a quarter of Serrata's prices...
littltesttube

Post by littltesttube »

Hi Sharon
I bought mine from Westlab a couple of years ago, but not sure how much I paid. Do not think it was much. This is 1 Litre.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

I just got some from serrata 1L for $4.30 ... They were cheapest - having said that just googled and found
https://www.aussiesoapsupplies.com.au/jerry-can-1l.html $3 each
and oh my stars ... just found this mob - not sure how DET schools will go ordering but heaps cheaper

https://peopleinplastic.com.au/contact/

$1.26 for a 1l jerry can with a red lid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Placing an order tomorrow ... doesnt look like they have minimum orders - delivery is $30 or you can send your own courier to pick up ...
With thanks Kate :coffee:
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Has anyone on here used the people in plastic jerry cans? Are they any good? I'm looking at the 1L ones.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Jerry can.jpg
Hi Westlab
littltesttube wrote: 04 May 2017, 12:50 Hi Sharon
I bought mine from Westlab a couple of years ago, but not sure how much I paid. Do not think it was much. This is 1 Litre.
Do you have anything like this now 1 or 2 litre I've just done a search and couldn't find anything, if so could we have a link.

thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Hi Macca,
MTA have them. 1l and 2.5L .
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

I just bought some from Haines . $4.95 for the 1 litre ones .I prefer Haines ones as they have a wider Lid than the ones pictured above which makes labelling the Lids a bit easier .

MTA ones have no lids , you have to buy them extra .
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

I just bought some from Haines . $4.95 for the 1 litre ones .I prefer Haines ones as they have a wider Lid than the ones pictured above which makes labelling the Lids a bit easier .

MTA ones have no lids , you have to buy them extra .
I noticed that a lot of our Jerry Cans are deteriorating . Particularly the lids are crumbling . We also had a lot of 2 litre ones that barely had more than 250mls in them , so I have decided to replace them all and redo the Labels .

I wish Risk assess had a Label that would fit on a Jerry Can , but they don't have one that appeases me , so I have made my own templates and labels in Word . The first few took ages but now its quick and easy . I paint the labels with Exterior PVA glue .This makes them semi water proof .
Crumbling Caps.jpg
Accident waiting to happen.jpg
Haines Jerry cans.jpg
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

That's a great idea to paint over them with glue! My plan is to use the dropper bottle label on the front and the large label on the side when I redo mine. I don't have the time or patience to make my own!
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

@bigmack

They look excellent, with 2M being DG class 8, do you keep it stored with all the other concs ?. We have ours separated in a DG cabinet.
Last edited by Anna Z on 31 Jul 2022, 19:08, edited 3 times in total.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Surffice to say that it is normally stored in the chem store rather than just on the shelf . But the Chem store needs a good sort out . Once I have git rid of all the weird molarity 2litre Gerry cans , I’ll address the DG issue
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

it's never ending isn't it :)
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Ordered the 1ltr from Haines today thank you Bigmack
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Found some more disintegrating Jerry Cans .
These ones looked OK until I gave them a squeeze .They crumbled instead of squishing.

Doubt it was 0.001HCl that did this , perhaps it had something else in it before it was repurposed . Be wary folk , seems these things may have a time limit .
BTW , these ones are probably circa 1985-1990
Cracked Jerry cans.jpg
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

My Goodness.... I only just threw out about 10 old bottles last week...gave them a squeeze, did not split or break but felt a little to firm... in the bin.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Looking for opinions - Would you be happy with a sideways sticker/label on your chemicals? I have bought some new jerry can style bottles for stock solutions and want to use sticky labels on them using RiskAssess. The large ones are slightly too big to fit the way they are printed, but fit perfectly if they were stuck on sideways. The label on the front of the bottle would be the correct way (smaller, like a dropper bottle label). Would this bother you do you think?

I don't have the time or patience to make my own like bigmack did!
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Rosalie - it is your chem store and if it doesn't bother you, go ahead and do it!

The other option is to take a screen shot and paste it into the Avery label template and you might be able to adjust it to fit.

But, I'd be taking the lazy option too, especially if I have other things that need to be done.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Yeah, I know, but I'm also trying to think ahead for when I one day pass the prep room on to someone else and is it likely to drive them nuts?? hahah

I like the idea of having the big ones on the side with all the extra info but the small ones on the front for easy reading!