ritacrem
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Carroll College
Suburb: Broulee
State/Location: NSW

Water purifier - deioniser etc

Post by ritacrem »

Hi
We are looking at replacing our deioniser and I am looking for any suggested models- any recommendations?
Thanks heaps
Rita :crazy:
sunray18

Re: Water purifier - deioniser etc

Post by sunray18 »

I have cartridges from Liquipro. 42/3 Kelso Crescent, Moorebank, Sydney. email support@liquipro.com They cost $85 and last 250 litres.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

We bought a Vertex under bench deioniser a few months ago. I'm really happy with it, has a pretty fast flow rate. I haven't had any complaints from the teachers, so I'm guessing all is good! It was a bit pricey - $1000, plus we had to get the plumber in to install it (not sure how much he charged), so that we could still use the tap over the sink. The replacement cartridges will cost about $200 but I should get over twelve months from each set.

If you're after a cheaper option, I did try the one from Scientrific. Much cheaper and the replacement filters were good value. However, to extend the life of the filters it does have a waste water outlet. So there is a fair bit of wasted water. If you're concerned about the expense and not worried about the waste water, this is also an option. We weren't happy with the water running down the sink, so returned the unit.
MissKat
Job Title: Science Technician
School: Cranbrook School
Suburb: Bellevue Hill

Post by MissKat »

I bought one from Scientrifric for about $400. It's reverse osmosis and pretty slow but works well if you don't need to fill up water bottles quickly.

It's under the sink and has a little tap to make the water flow. Had it for about 6 months and no issues. We don't use a lot of deionised water though.
ritacrem
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Carroll College
Suburb: Broulee

Post by ritacrem »

Thanks all for you replies...helps
Have a great holiday
RIta
Science10
State/Location: VIC

Distilled Water or Water Deioniser? What is best?

Post by Science10 »

I would like some direction/opinions on buying distilled water vs owning a water deioniser. What is recommended and why?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Distilled Water or Water Deioniser? What is best?

Post by Labbie »

There is a thread on Deioniser water, I have put a bump too. as I can not merge topics any more. hope this helps you Science 10
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Science10

Re: Distilled Water or Water Deioniser? What is best?

Post by Science10 »

Thankyou Sue, I will have a look at the thread...
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

The facts tells us the Distilled water is 99.9% pure, where as Deioniser Water is not. We always used Distilled water, purchased from Refresh in NSW.
Regards Labbie

Science10

Post by Science10 »

That is a good point, Sue. Appreciate your suggestions!
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

We have been using purchased "pure" water for some time after our reverse osmosis unit gave up. However we have found the pH of the bottled water is always low (eg between 5-6 and lower than tap water). I wonder if although it may be pure when it is bottled, it absorbs contaminates while it is stored. So we are now reconsidering if we need to go back to distilling our own.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

During the Drought some years ago now, we were told NOT TO distill our own, too much waste of water. So we started to buy distilled water from Refresh NSW Silverwater. We have never looked back, this may come back into force with our current drought.
Regards Labbie

bigmack
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

I used one of these at a school I worked at last year . Its an Air Still . You fill it up with about 2 liters of water , turn it on and it just sits there all day dribbling out distilled water . After 4-5 hours it auto switches off . No cooling water required . It consumes about 350 watts.
So basically you get 2 Liters of distilled water a day for bugger all effort .
Airstill.jpg
Kathryn wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 12:14 However we have found the pH of the bottled water is always low (eg between 5-6 and lower than tap water). I wonder if although it may be pure when it is bottled, it absorbs contaminates while it is stored.
Kinda Kathryn . Becuase there are almost no minerals or ions in there it is easily altered . CO2 is absorbed from the air and makes it acidic . Even distilled water straight from the spout will turn universal indicator a yellow colour .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

Hi Bigmack
So does distilled water pick up CO2 more easily that tap water? Tap water always has a pH closer to 7 than our bottled water.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Tap water normally contains a lot of natural minerals depending on the source . Local municipals add chemicals at the water treatment stations to adjust the pH so it is close to 7.

And yes , because distilled water has no minerals in it , it is easily acidified by the CO2 in the air
Kathryn

Post by Kathryn »

Could you let me know where you got your Air Still from?
Thanks
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Hi Kathryn
It was already there so I don't know where it came from but they are available from any Home Brew shops .

There's a contact number in the link https://stillspirits.com/products/turbo-air-still
AU: 1800 281 231 (free phone)

Note that it says you need carbon filters and stuff ...that's only if you are making booze and not applicable to water distillation .
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I just received some flyers from Haines and they are selling one that looks exactly the same, doesn't state brand. Costs $450.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Merilyn1 wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 11:39 I just received some flyers from Haines and they are selling one that looks exactly the same, doesn't state brand. Costs $450.
Yes that's the one I used .Wondered who stocked them . It's very similar to the one I linked two but can't find specs to compare . I know the Home Brew shop sells them for around $375 . so it would be a bit cheaper if it's similar . HBS ones quote liters of booze an hour not liters of water so its a bit hard to compare .
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Water/booze - Friday afternoon, doesn't matter! :clap3: