A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Science10
State/Location: VIC

Re: Water purifier - deioniser etc

Post by Science10 »

You may find this link of interest...
https://sciencing.com/ph-distilled-water-4623914.html

Pure Water Is Slightly Acidic
The pH of pure water is around 5.8, which makes it acidic. The reason is that water absorbs carbon dioxide and continues to do so until it comes into equilibrium with the atmosphere. In solution, carbon dioxide reacts with water to produce carbonic acid, which in turn releases hydronium ions into solution – which is equivalent to releasing free hydrogen ions.

2H20 + CO2 --> H2O + H2CO3 (carbonic acid) --> H3O+ (hydronium) + HCO3- (bicarbonate ions)

It takes about two hours for a sample of distilled water to absorb all the carbon dioxide it can from the atmosphere and achieve its final pH.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

Post by Kathryn »

Thanks for that - that website explains it well.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

I gave up on distilling my own water as IGA has black and gold 2 litre distilled water for hardly anything. It is fine for sec colleges.
astagni
Job Title: Lab Tech

Water deioniser

Post by astagni »

Hi there,
Wondering if anyone has purchased new water deionisers lately. We have an old Elgastat B114, that is starting to fall apart, the inlet and outlet caps have become brittle and considering the cost of the replacement cartridges, considering replacing it.
Thanks
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

Hi. We bought a distiller from a brewing shop about two years ago. It was $280, but has paid for itself twice over because we were being charged so much freight on the only distilled water I could find. Good luck!
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

I use these units, purchased from Scientrific:

Reverse Osmosis Deioniser System
Order code: SC93010

Very happy with these units.
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
elaruu
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: SS

Post by elaruu »

bigmack wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 19:15 I used one of these at a school I worked at last year . Its an Air Still . You fill it up with about 2 liters of water , turn it on and it just sits there all day dribbling out distilled water . After 4-5 hours it auto switches off . No cooling water required . It consumes about 350 watts.
So basically you get 2 Liters of distilled water a day for bugger all effort .
Airstill.jpg
Kathryn wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 12:14 However we have found the pH of the bottled water is always low (eg between 5-6 and lower than tap water). I wonder if although it may be pure when it is bottled, it absorbs contaminates while it is stored.
Kinda Kathryn . Because there are almost no minerals or ions in there it is easily altered . CO2 is absorbed from the air and makes it acidic . Even distilled water straight from the spout will turn universal indicator a yellow colour .
Hi Bigmack. I hope you're well. I had one of those at my previous school as well, and now my new school would like to buy one. They seem to be sold in lots of places at wildly different prices. Hard to tell whether they are any different in terms of quality or not. But anyway, I was just wondering if you ever used to clean the filter in it. I've called a couple of places and getting mixed info about whether you have to clean/replace them. I never did at my other school (was there a year and a half). One place I called said that you get 2 with the machine and you just wet them and put them out in the sun to reactivate it, and they should last the lifetime of the machine.
RosalieL
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

I had a 4L one at my previous school. I don't remember where I got it from but it worked really well and I don't remember changing the filters either! From memory, it did need a wipe out after each distillation as the base is where most of the gunk seemed to end up. I've just had a quick look online and found this one https://www.awesomewaterfilters.com.au/ ... -distiller but as you said, it's hard to compare them! I had to look up gallons and 1 gallon is 3.78541L so pretty close to 4L. I am looking at getting one from my current school. Previous labbie's husband owned a fish farm so they used to refill bottles from their deioniser but that supply is close to running out!
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

We bought a distiller from the brewery shop, and it's more than paid for itself. Plus no packaging or plastic bottles or effort. Occasionally I rinse it with 5M HCl to descale it. 4L per cycle and auto -off. pH is quite low of course, but that doesn't really matter for our purposes.
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

RosalieL wrote: 05 Sep 2023, 13:07 I had a 4L one at my previous school. I don't remember where I got it from but it worked really well and I don't remember changing the filters either! From memory, it did need a wipe out after each distillation as the base is where most of the gunk seemed to end up. I've just had a quick look online and found this one https://www.awesomewaterfilters.com.au/ ... -distiller but as you said, it's hard to compare them! I had to look up gallons and 1 gallon is 3.78541L so pretty close to 4L. I am looking at getting one from my current school. Previous labbie's husband owned a fish farm so they used to refill bottles from their deioniser but that supply is close to running out!
I think I'm going to go with this one (if the HT approves)
https://www.greenshoponline.com.au/prod ... gK4hPD_BwE

I rang them and asked a few questions and they were quite helpful, so that works for me. I asked about the difference between the cheaper ones and the more expensive ones and they said that theirs was stainless steel and some of the cheaper ones probably wouldn't be. And I like this one because it's at the upper end of the price-range, but reduced. Of course not always a good indication, but I'm sure it will be fine.

In my old school I used to fill up 10L containers (with dispenser taps) and we had one in each classroom and one in the prep room and a couple of spares. We never had problems with things growing in the water (mould etc), but the HT here thinks that it will be a problem, so she wants me to only buy 2 x 5L containers for storage. Do you have issues with mould or anything? I figure the water is sterilised by boiling, and then put into a clean container, so should be fine.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Is that 2L or 4L? Ours was all stored in 2L bottles that originally had Coles deionised water in them. I have been here over 2.5 years and the water is still good. I used to have a 20L distilled water drum at my old school that I just kept filling up. We had purchased it during the drought before investing in one of these stills that don't need constant running water.
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

I think it's 4L. I was just assuming because it looks the same. But it doesn't seem to mention it on the website. I will double check before ordering. I think it would be much handier to have the big 10L tank, but oh well.
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

Yes, 4 litres
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

elaruu wrote: 07 Sep 2023, 09:15Yes, 4 litres
Thanks! I've just ordered one :thumbup:
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

RosalieL wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 12:27
Yay! I haven't yet. Still waiting for approval. Did you add on the free gift? :D
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

elaruu wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 08:45
RosalieL wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 12:27
Yay! I haven't yet. Still waiting for approval. Did you add on the free gift? :D
Sure did! \:D/