Incubator or oven

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Incubator or oven

Post by linotas »

We have some money to purchase an incubator or oven. Which would be more useful? We are a k-10 school following the NC for science. Also, I have been looking at prices and the incubators seem very small. If you have one, what size do you have?

Any info would be most helpful.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Re: Incubator or oven

Post by rae »

We have both and would use the oven about twice a year and the incubator more often probably 8 times a year. I recently purchased a new incubator and it is Thermoline 43L.
bunsen
Job Title: SOO
School: Mabel Park State High
Suburb: Slacks Creek
State/Location: QLD

Post by bunsen »

If you have the money get an incubator. As ovens are cheap you can always get one later. We too have a themoline 43 works well and service is good, however be sure to connect via a surge protector when using. Apparently the temperature control unit is very sensitive and easily damaged by power surges, this happenrd to ours just after warranty ran out, over $400 to replace the control module.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Thanks Guys. I have emailed Thermoline for a quote. I think the incubator is the way to go as well. I was unsure as to what size would suit as they seemed so small compared to what I was used to in industry. We actually have two domestic ovens in our Junior Lab as, during construction it was used as the cooking room (before it was commissioned for the science lab and before my time so I have no idea what they did for pracs....nothing I suspect) and they cannot be bothered to remove them :lol:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

We have a steridium. I will have to look up what size it is though. It's only new this year. I don't think they need to be huge like an oven. If we have more than one or 2 classes doing agar at once it becomes crowded in there but you can stack the plates about 6 high on each shelf so there is plenty of room (Which is ok for school science).
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

It's a 75L fan circulated incubator from steridium.
Internal dimensions - 500h x 435w x 375d
External dimensions - 760h x 540w x 575d
It comes standard with 2 shelves but we paid for a third ($65).
If you would like any further info send me a PM with your email address.
Rosalie
Kerrin
School: Hastings Secondary College
Suburb: Port Macquarie

Incubator

Post by Kerrin »

Hi all,We are wanting to buy a benchtop incubator and would be interested if anyone has or knows of a good brand/company and which would be the best size.Of course cost is a big issue - as usual.It will be mainly for culturing but I would say we might hatch a few little chickens as well ?? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I have merged these posts, do hope it helps.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

Anybody know of an affordable drying oven? From what I can see, starting price is about $2 000, ouch. It is to be used for drying out chemical samples, we would carry on using our incubator for agar plates, etc.
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hi Prima,
we have a oven for sale. somehow we ended up with 2.
They were both serviced last year By Eddie Bishop and in great condition.
Let me know if you are interested.
Location south west sydney :coffee: :popcorn: :coffee:
MariaQ
Job Title: Boss
School: Central Coast Grammar

Post by MariaQ »

Ive just purchased a new oven from Scientrific, its IEC brand so good Australian product, it was around $1300- MariaQ
superbug

Post by superbug »

I have sent you a private message Prima
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

We have ordered an new incubator for next year. Our Thermoline has given up after 20yrs service. Repair was going to cost approx $800. We had the 43L but have decided to go to the next size up, 80L. Getting a Thermoline again.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

To go back to the original question - incubator -v- drying oven, they are two different beasts. Incubators will heat but they aren't designed to dry the contents so good for agar plates. Drying ovens have a fan and are designed to dry the contents. These are a lot more expensive - $2000 does seem like about the right price. I'm fortunate to have both types here. The drying oven is really useful, gets used for chemistry and EES and great if I have some glassware I need to dry in a hurry. But it is a big expense for something that doesn't get a lot of use. It does get used more than the incubator, though.
If you had the money for both, I would definitely recommend having both.