Gas syringes

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

Gas syringes

Post by RosalieL »

How can you tell if the syringes are too “sticky” for measuring gas? Do you have some that are used for gas only or are your syringes all together? I have found the plastic ones here and I am worried the gas from the experiment won’t have enough pressure to move them. I don’t really have time to try the experiment on all of the syringes. Apparently we also have some glass ones but they haven’t shown up after a quick search. I will have a better look later.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Re: Gas syringes

Post by mtg »

I use the glass ones, clamp a hose on the end so the gas doesn't escape. To get rid of it bubble it out under water.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

mtg wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 11:18 I use the glass ones, clamp a hose on the end so the gas doesn't escape. To get rid of it bubble it out under water.
I did end up finding the glass ones and I showed the teacher and he said “I’m not letting my kids have those!” :cheesy: At least he knows his class!! We ended up using the plastic ones but they weren’t great. I think next year we will do it into a measuring cylinder upside down filled with water. I’m pretty sure that’s what my old school did years ago.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Revisiting this thread - do you use Vaseline or anything on the glass gas syringes?
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

We use morning fresh on our gas syringes...just a little. Works a treat, better than having Vaseline or silicon grease all over them.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

That’s a great idea! I will do that next time :)
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

Thanks Anna Z for that awesome suggestion as well