chemical waste

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

chemical waste

Post by RosalieM »

Hi All,
For those of you who know so much more than me, I'm wondering if anyone has a list of which substances go in what waste containers. I usually ask the teachers where to put it when they bring whatever can't go down the sink to me. For example, how do I know what is 'halogenated inorganic waste' etc. Heavy metals I can do (if I know what prac they have come from)... but the organic/inorganic and halogenated/non-halogenated ones I am not sure of... Is there a simple rule for knowing/remembering? Or is it just learned over time? Now that I am starting my second year I am trying to make sure I get it right without having to ask too much! (of the teachers that is - you guys will probably cop all my questions!!)
Rosalie
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: chemical waste

Post by Labbie »

If you have a copy of the CSIS, Chemical Safety In Schools, their are two volumes. Appendix E disposal of waste chemicals. Volume 2, pages 1-30. You should have a waste glass jar for silver, Copper, and most of your heavy metals. You treat most of solutions and Neutralise, then they may go down the sink to waste. Their is no way we can know it all, I have a copy in the prep room, and have to look at it each time. I have made up a list of Disposal numbers, and put them on each chemical. If I can help in any other way, please just say.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Hi Rosalie,
I guess you have seen the list in section 3.2.7.3 of the CSIS (Vol. 2) manual. I am with you though. I would not have a clue as to what was a "halogenated organic liquid" and what was a "non-halogenated organic liquid". I figure that with the amount that the teachers get paid more than us, they are paid to know what ever we don't, and they have a vested interest in telling us what we need to know, because if it all goes pear shaped, they will probably get the gun before we do! Still, it is nice to be able to do the job and at the same time APPEAR competent in ALL aspects of science.

All the best
Ian :-)
lada

Post by lada »

Hi Ian, remember me from the safety course?
I know a little bit about those organic liquids. Halogenated are ones with Cl, Br, or I attached to the molecule eg di chloro methane or tetra chloro ethane. Non halogenated are the rest, like alcohols, hydrocarbons etc. We use waste removalist from St marys "Chemsal" and they dont need those separated. I put the water immiscible solvents(hexane, cyclohexene dichloromethane etc) in large glass bottle, labelled "organic waste" and get teachers to put all organic waste there.
Water soluble waste like ethanol ,acetone can go down the sink with lots of water.
Hope this is clear as mud.
Welcome back to another eventful year
lada :coffee: \:D/
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Of course I remember you Lada! Lovely to hear from you. Thanks for the tips re. the Chem waste.
I always hated Chemistry when I was at school (I liked Physics though!) now I find that Chem is a major part of my job and I am expected to be the "School Chemistry Expert". Funny how things turn out, isn't it!
You know, I could not tell you how much time I have spent in the Chem store searching for "Ethanoic Acid" There is so much Acetic Acid and vinegar stacked in front of it, that it is hard to find! :wink2: Maybe I was just not destined for a PhD in Chemistry! :D

have a great 2008

regards
lada

Post by lada »

ian, just for your troubles with acetic acid i gave you extra karma.
Enjoy 2008
labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

I,too, gave you karma for that one, Ian, because I have actually done that myself!!! Embarrassingly enough, on more than one occasion.
Cheers,
Lisa
smcm13
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: Clairvaux Mackillop College
State/Location: QLD

Post by smcm13 »

Hi ALL,
Can someone advise me how to dispose copper carbonate please? Thank you.

regards
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

The solid can be wrapped and put into the bin.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Ian wrote: 01 Feb 2008, 07:24 Of course I remember you Lada! Lovely to hear from you. Thanks for the tips re. the Chem waste.
I always hated Chemistry when I was at school (I liked Physics though!) now I find that Chem is a major part of my job and I am expected to be the "School Chemistry Expert". Funny how things turn out, isn't it!
You know, I could not tell you how much time I have spent in the Chem store searching for "Ethanoic Acid" There is so much Acetic Acid and vinegar stacked in front of it, that it is hard to find! :wink2: Maybe I was just not destined for a PhD in Chemistry! :D

have a great 2008

regards
Hey Ian I had to laugh at this old post. As I now have your old HT here, I too have scratched my head over the ethanoic acid puzzle #-o
smcm13

Post by smcm13 »

Merilyn1 wrote: 17 Feb 2023, 10:46 The solid can be wrapped and put into the bin.
Thank you Marilyn.
smcm13

Post by smcm13 »

what about the liquid? any idea/
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Isn't copper carbonate insoluble in water? If you have some in water, I would filter it out and throw the filter paper in the bin.
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

I'm hoping the brains trust can help me here.
I'm sure that with all the recent flooding in northern NSW and elsewhere there has been a fairly universal problem with mould getting into storage areas. We have been trying to deal with a mould problem in our flammable chemicals store of all places. Consequently we have boxes of flammable chemicals that need to be disposed of, and potentially the rest of the chemicals in the store room as well.
Has any school out there encountered the same problem and been made aware of the best method of disposal of these chemicals, or is there another school we could team with to share the cost of disposal?
J
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

J which area are you in please.
Regards Labbie

J

Post by J »

North Coast NSW near Coffs Harbour.
Marama T
School: College

Post by Marama T »

We recently had Cleanaway take chemicals for disposal. It's expensive (in the hundreds), so shop around. Most of the cost is transport - getting together with another school might help reduce the price for you. Use RiskAssess if you have it, because some stuff you can dispose of in the rubbish or down the drain.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Thanks J other school may get in contact with you now.
Regards Labbie

J

Post by J »

Thank you.
I'll look at Cleanaway in our area if possible as a starting point.
smcm13

Post by smcm13 »

Hi All,
Can anyone help me and give mean idea how to dispose copper nitrate?
Thank