Flammable Solids

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
jilly
State/Location: NSW

Flammable Solids

Post by jilly »

I have a very small Chem Store and quite a large and uncluttered Flammable Liquids cupboard. Is there any reason why the flammable liquids and flammable soilds should not be stored in the flammable liquids cupboard (well separated)
I would appreciate your input.
Jill
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Re: Flammable Solids

Post by Voice »

I think that it should be okay. However, check through Chemwatch. If you look at the MSDS of your particular chemical, under storage, it will tell you what chemicals can be stored together. Good Luck.
Maree
franco
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Tuart College
Suburb: Tuart Hill
State/Location: WA

Post by franco »

Don't know about the requirements in NSW, but in WA, as far as I know, ONLY flammable liquids are allowed to be stored in flammable liquid cabinets.

Regards,
Fran
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

If your flammables cuboard says 'flammable liquids" store only as it suggests as it saves explaining otherwise should the worst happen. I know commonsense can say otherwise in a situation like this but it's how the manufacturers cover themselves.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Robb
State/Location: NSW

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

All Flammable Liquid Cabinets must be separated away from the General Chemical Store by a physical Barrier (Wall).Aust. Standards state that this must be the case. Flammable liquids and Flammable solids are safe to store together, BUT if there is a Flammable Liquid Cabinet Available then the Flammable Liquids MUST be stored in this location..

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **