Bunsen Burners

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga
State/Location: NSW

Bunsen Burners

Post by Loopy »

Hi Everyone,
I'm "renovating" our bunsens (natural gas) at the moment and was wondering if anyone had some tips - other than don't let students near them! I am replacing the rubber tubing with the plastic, (that part is easy) but some of the barrels are very stiff to turn, some have had wax dripped right through them and there is some with a salt like build up around the base feeder holes - excuse my lack of technical terminology I'm not sure what the bits are called but I think you all know what I mean. Help!?!
Ta muchly,
Lou P.
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: Bunsen Burners

Post by Slartibartfast »

Loosen the barrel with penetrating oil - spray and let sit overnight. Fuse wire will clear the jet after a good scrub in the washing to 1st get rid of excess salt/wax etc. If the barrel is hard to remove, place a small screwdriver through the air holes at the base and twist being VERY careful not to distort the holes or the sleeve will not close!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Thanks Richard!
What sort of penetrating oil would you recommend?
Lou P.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

WD40 or RP7. Your General Assistant would have it if not all supermarkets.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Or perhaps to clean the shaft or barrel, a good wire brush, I have seen them local hardware stores, like bottle brushes but of wire, very handy.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
ri

Post by ri »

Hi all,
this job (therapeutic?) comes around regularly, doesn't it?
I wait till I have a plastic bucket of these little suckers.
Have ready:
a needle pointed dissecting needle; triangular file; pliers, tissues.
I find using another bunsen, lit with a tissue draped around the base works well. The sick bunsen is held by its barrel and the wax build-up held briefly in the flame. As the wax melts and chemicals soften, it drips onto the tissue around the lit bunsen. A wipe with another tissue gets the base clean.
A triangular file is put into the air hole to give leverage to twist the barrel off.
The barrel can be held in the flame with tongs, the melted wax drips through and a tissue/paper towel pulled through the barrel gets this clean.
Meanwhile, the tiny gas supply outlet in the base can be removed with pliers and the dissecting needle poked through till daylight can be seen.
all can then be reassembled.
Hope this helps, works for me
Cheers,
~Robyn
Didee
State/Location: WA

Post by Didee »

Robyn,
:wub: all your ideas. But where do you get a dissecting needle small enough to fit in the jet hole. I have trouble getting fine fuse/copper wire thru it.
Diana
ri

Post by ri »

Hello Diana,
its never been a problem, I guess the heating has softened the wax plug?
Perhaps an ordinary sewing needle would do as they come in some very fine sizes.
Don't forget to do the 'poking' from inside to the outside of the jet hole.....
All the best,
~Robyn
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

What great ideas! Thanks all for your input. Meanwhile I have found graphite good to loosen the action of the collars if they are very tight.
Thanks again,
I love this site,
Lou P.
bindi

Post by bindi »

Hi all,
I found the tip of a safety pin cleans the jet and I wipe the barrel & collars will vasoline.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We use pipe cleaners, they do help, and seem to get into the hard spot.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Excellent, I have been having the same problems with my bunsens, and I tried hot water and solvents, to no avail, so I will give your ideas a go, thanks all

cheers Lisa :thumbup: =D>
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Hi.
We might be a bit "rough and ready" around here (after all, I spent a few years as the GA, before being "promoted" to the lab) I have had success cleaning out the jets by first removing the barrel and then holding the jet/base assembly in another Bunsen's flame while I blow hard through the CLEAN plastic tube. This softens what ever is clogging the jet and allows it (usually wax) to be blown out. On really stubborn ones, I have been known to bring in my modelling drills and drill out the jet. The modelling drills go from 1.2mm down to about 0.25mm in fractions of a mm which is OK for most jets. They are available from most modelling shops of engineering shops
all the best

Ian
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Good idea Ian, I have some at home I use for model railways - I could make a super bunsen if I use a bigger drill bit!
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Ian

Post by Ian »

Yeah! you could pit your "Flame thrower" against the Sydney PD's new water canon, and see who wins!!

Ian
Ian

Post by Ian »

Slartibartfast wrote:Good idea Ian, I have some at home I use for model railways - I could make a super bunsen if I use a bigger drill bit!
So, are you going to the model train expo at Hurstville on the long weekend Richard? I hear that it will be "Bigger and Better" this year, taking up TWO venue rooms. I hope to have a model in the modelling comp this year, but there is a bit to do on it yet and only a week to go!

Ian
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Hoping to Ian! I've hear the same that it's going to be well worth a visit. Normally only head to the Broadmeadow rail Ex but my brother (ex freight driver - now a school deputy!) and his family are down from Tamworth at that time and it could be on the cards I reckon. What are you entering if you don't mind me asking? Also, what are the trade stalls normally like at Hurstville? I've got a list of bit and pieces I'm after - like everybody else eh!
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Use round bar or screwdriver shaft to unscrew, if Jet comes out as well warm in flame and use two pair of pliers to unscrew Jet use Flat fine file till top of jet is shiney then borrow Oxy/Acet. Jet cleaners from industrial arts section and run these in & out hole in jet
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I hold the base in the metalwork vice while I unscrew using the screwdriver or steel -rod through- the- hole- technique
rp

Post by rp »

I soak mine in boiling water and detergent.
That works as long as the water is hot enough to melt the wax
regards Rhonda