Ferrous Nitrate

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

Ferrous Nitrate

Post by Ian »

Hi all,
Does any body know where I can get Ferrous (Iron II) Nitrate? I can get Ferric (Iron III) Nitrate from Q-Stores, Serrata or Science Supply, but my chem teacher wants BOTH Ferrous AND Ferric, but nobody seems to stock Ferrous Nitrate! :?

Thasnks for your help.
Ian :-)
Robb

Re: Ferrous Nitrate

Post by Robb »

Hi Ian,

Any Chemical Supplier should be able to source it for you, Chem-Supply subsidiaries. If a chemical supplier, other than Q-stores, does not have a particular chemical then they will be able to source it for you no problems.

The thing with Iron (II) compounds is that the suppliers don't necessarily stock them as they are not normally used on a regular basis.

Ajax Chemicals come to mind around the Sydney area.

It looks like you guys are looking at the different oxidation states and specific Ion colours of the Iron.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
lada

Re: Ferrous Nitrate

Post by lada »

We could not get it either, so we use ferrous sulfate. Iron(II) salts oxidise very rapidly to Iron (III), so must make fresh solutions before use.