Biology

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Timtam
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: St Pauls International College
Suburb: Moss Vale
State/Location: NSW

Biology

Post by Timtam »

Hi all
I have a head of a wombat that was killed out on a farm here in the highlands, it still has teeth and some fur and the head of science wants it cleaned off any tissue and gunk so it can be displayed. I have heard that caustic soda may do the job but it has to be watched and it takes days. does anyone have any suggestions for me I would be happy. :w00t:
Thanks all Tammy #-o
P.S. I am a country girl and if we wanted a carcass cleaned we would find an ants nest and leave it for a few weeks.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Re: Biology

Post by J »

Hi Tammy

Way before my time here I know that students have prepared things like rat and rabbit skeletons by boiling off the flesh. Sounds totally gross but if there's not much flesh left it might be ok. A quick google search found this little snippet which may be of assistance:

PROMISING NEW METHOD
FEATURED IN THE SMALL MAMMAL MANUAL MANUSCRIPT

For small mammals and birds we've been working on a new technique that may be a good
alternative to beetles for preparing small skeletons.

Someone was quick to point out that it is unlikely that this is really a new technique, as people
have been working with skeleton cleaning for a couple hundred years. However, I have never
seen anything in print on this technique and one of the main ingredients (concentrated
hydrogen peroxide) wasn't produced much before WWII even though it had been first
discovered in the 1880's.

The process uses concentrated hydrogen peroxide to oxidize flesh. This so far involves
soaking small animal carcasses in a strong ammonia solution for ten days and then in baths of
15-20% hydrogen peroxide solution until the flesh is gone, but before the bones become
disarticulated. The articulated skeleton is then removed and posed until it dries. Experiments
as to the exact steps, times and limitations are still being conducted. I will add details here as
the process gets fine-tuned.

The major advantage, if this works, is being able to prepare very small skeletons without using
environmentally hazardous chemicals or having to deal with the nauseating smells of decay

:unsure:
This one sounds perhaps a bit extreme for your needs but not having seen your specimen I can't really say.
Good luck.
Julie
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Does your HOD want the fur too? I'd go with the ants, frankly! Beetles, yabbies, other creatures of the forest?

Cheers, K 8-)
Timtam
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: St Pauls International College
Suburb: Moss Vale

Post by Timtam »

Thank u Julie I will keep an eye out for more when u fine tune this thank u again =D>