Some Light Relief

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
ri
State/Location: NSW

Some Light Relief

Post by ri »

Hi All,
we all have those moments, don't we, :-({|= where our teachers give apologies and reasons why a prac request is delivered to us late.
Would you like to share those wonderful excuses here?
:cheesy:
~Robyn
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: Some Light Relief

Post by Slartibartfast »

Two I've had are: "sorry it's late but I had to wait to see what my students wanted to do." and " I don't have the faintest idea what I'm doing" - both ironically from the same teacher. Beat THAT!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

"I had this brainwave at 2.00am this morning", "I had planned what I wanted to do I just forgot to tell you", and "any ideas what I can do with my Year 9 next period? (ie in 3 mins time)" .

These would be the most common "reasons" I receive. ...and this one "I'm giving you two days notice..." spoken at 3.30pm Friday and needed period 1 Monday!

We somehow still have a great relationship!

Cheers,

Robbie
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

I had this one today, "I am just feeling my way with this class and they just love doing pracs, Sorry about the short notice but I will get organised one day, thanks so much I appreciate it". :thumbup:

At least she thanks me. =D>

Cheers Nicky
joh

Post by joh »

I did write an order out. Look it's sitting on my desk. #-o
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I put that order up yesterday afternoon. Didn't you see it? :whistling2:
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

Ah yes, I'm sure we've all heard these before. My favourite is when there is a pupil free day and in the morning (when I have time) there are of course no pracs on the board. During the afternoon, when I'm involved in my sessions, and they have faculty time, nearly every one of them put up their pracs and of course they are all for period one the next day!! ("Oh but there wasn't that much to gather/ prepare" - maybe not, but multiply it by 8 and it's a mad dash in the morning!) Bless their little cotton socks.... good thing we all get on so well here!
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

This one.. I arrive bright and early

" I want to demonstrate..(such and such).
Do you have any ideas what expt we can slip in?
Oh, and its for P1? No rush though, you have until 10 mins into the lesson before I will need it. Thanks!" #-o
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa

Post by pkij »

How about the covert prac request, when teacher comes into prep room in the middle of their lesson "looking" for stuff for a prac they have decided to do during that lesson. Next minute you find yourself getting it all together because you know they have no idea where anything is and you dont really want them rummaging through drawers etc and making more mess than there already is!! And the HOD is the worst offender, what do I do!!! :-) or :cry2:
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

Oh I hear ya pkij. That happens often to me and yes 8 times out of 10 its the HOD. In fact I sent out a reminder email only last week stating a few of my rules eg. Giving 24 hours notice, letting me know when pracs are finished with etc. I have to admit they have been worse since the email went out. Maybe its payback but I have been run off my feet this week. TGIF.

Cheers Nicky
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Not a prac request... but I did just overhear a YR 9 student ask "which one is the diluted water?" I can only assume (and hope!!) that he meant 'distilled'...
Rosalie
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

Last week a year 12 student asked:"How do I use this pipette pump?" #-o Year 12 trials begin next week!!!! Our leaders of the future, :?
Mother
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Yesterday, I had this conversation.

Teacher: "I have a year 6 class comming down from the junior school this afternoon. Which of these two experiments do you think I should do with them?"

Me: (after reading through the two pracs and deciding which one will require the least equipment, and recommending that one!) "What time are you expecting them down?"

Teacher: " they should be here in about 5 minutes"

The experiment we decided on involved fermenting yeast under various conditions (wet, dry, warm, cold, with sugar, without sugar, etc. (and that was the easier of the two!!)

Ian :-?
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

I know this is not on the topic but just thought I would let you know about what happened to me today:

I needed to do some washing up in the sink, put the plug in, turned the hot water on and then went off and checked my email, sitting down at the computer and had the dishwasher going at the same time and thought to myself hmmm that dishwasher sounds loud and then jumped out of my seat to see that I had left the water running and the sound wasn't the dishwasher it was water pouring out of the sink all over the floor. Gee I am glad its Monday
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

Some days are diamonds.
Or so they say.
:whistling2: :coffee: