MSDS expiry date

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville
State/Location: NSW

MSDS expiry date

Post by Xenon »

Hi all.

:-({|= I have the wonderful task of signing the prac Risk Assessments which require recording the MSDS issue dates, plus the earliest MSDS expiry date. Is everyone's understanding that MSDS expiry date is 5 years from the issue date?

Xe, SD, KOPR
Xe, SD, KOPR
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: MSDS expiry date

Post by Labbie »

I understood, it was only replaced when a new MSDS was issued. I go through our MSDS once a year, to see which has changed, or been re-issued. Or perhaps you could use the work updated. Useing Chemwatch. Some times their are a lot other times very few, need reprinting.

Regards
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

Yes, that's my understanding of the situation. I'm currently in the process of reprinting all my MSDS's because they're all due now!

Carol
bernie
State/Location: QLD

Post by bernie »

The MSDS expiry date is the date the company or person producing the MSDS puts on the MSDS ie 5 years from that date. I have just had to up date most of mine even thought it was only 2 years since I had printed them off as the manufacturers date on the MSDS was over 5 years old. We had a chemical safety auditor in, who informed me I had to up date my MSDS.

hope this makes sense
celia1

Re: MSDS expiry date& update

Post by celia1 »

Hi All
Sorry for my ignorance but where should i update or get the MSDS from?

This all new to me.

Celia
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hi
If you have access to ChemWatch use it if not, you can type chemical name into search engine followed by MSDS and manufacturer name. MSDS are valid 5 years from issue date not print date and should be manufacture specific (e.g. no frills dishwasher detergent and Palmolive need different MSDS's)

:?
Cheers Jazz
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

If you have the manufacturers details - obtain the MSDS from them. By law they must make them available to the public - online or otherwise. That way also you have the MSDS specific to their product and it should always be current from them also! If not, as above, as you're in NSW, obtain from Chemwatch.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
celia1

Re: MSDS

Post by celia1 »

HI all
Thanks for the info .This site is great.
Ihave been learning quite abit.

Celia