Preserved Biological Specimens

and any other non-chem subjects.
TritonX
State/Location: NSW

Post by TritonX »

I have a few specimens that are still stored in formaldehyde (most of them need topping up). I have been asked to replace the formaldehyde with 50% enthanol solution but the head teacher is abit concerned with the handling of formaldehyde.

Does anyone know of a place that will do the solution change?
What have you guys done with your specimens?

My snake specimen is growing alittle bit of mold it since the bottle is only halve filled with formaldehyde. Is there any chance of saving it? :cry:
juliem

Post by juliem »

Hi Triton X
There were quite a number of specimens at this school when I started here, but the HT didn't see the need for any of them, so I disposed of them all. However if it was required to keep some and not the dodgy moldy ones, there is a process of incremental dilution of the formaldehyde with methanol till its “ removed” then further dilution till it’s 50% methylated spirits/ 50% water.
Ref - Manual for school assistants working in science IV Biology p 138
I have prepared a few laminated sheets with pictures downloaded from the internet as a satisfactory alternative.
Hope this helps
JudyM

Prepared specimens

Post by JudyM »

Hi Juliem,
Could you pls give the details of the web address which gives directions on converting formaldehyde specimens to ethanol? I don't have the book you referred to. I also have a number of specimens that have been here since the year dot, most in quite good condition & would like to save what I can.
thanks
judy
juliem

Post by juliem »

Hi JudyM
I can fax or photocopy the pages and send to you at the begining of next term, sorry it's after 2.00pm and getting ready to go
regards have a good holiday
Rickerby
State/Location: WA

Post by Rickerby »

In Western Australia we have been told any specimens stored in flammable liquids must be stored in a flammable cupboard. To avoid this it has been suggested that after preserving in the normal way, specimens are then rinsed and stored in a solution of 10ml phenoxytol (2-phenoxyethanol), 50 glycerol and 940ml distilled water. With this solution specimens do not need to be completely immersed although it does look better. This seems to work really well.

Penny
Didee
State/Location: WA

Post by Didee »

We did this to all our specimens (some 20yrs old) just over 8 years ago and the results continue to be great. It was a bit of an effort, but well worth the effort

Diana
JudyM

Post by JudyM »

I must admit I've never heard of phenoxytol. In the 17yrs I've been here I don't think anyone has ever asked for it. It sounds like a good alternative to ethanol or formaldehyde. What about new specimens, are they injected with this mixture?
Could someone please tell me where to get further info.
Robb

2-PHENOXYETHANOL

Post by Robb »

2-PHENOXYETHANOL, is used in Organic Synthesis as a Bactericide. When used in conjunction with Quaternary Ammonium Compounds it forms an Insect Repellent.

It can be also used as a topical application as an Antiseptic.

It is an Oily liquid with a faint Aromatic odour.
It is usually obtained by treating Phenol with Ethylene Oxide in the presence of an Alkali.

It is also used commercially as a Perfume Fixative (Traps in Aroma).

This Oily property and having the Antiseptic qualities, makes a perfect non-flammable specimen preservative.

Hope this has clarified some mystery surrounding 2-PHENOXYETHANOL...
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
JudyM

Post by JudyM »

Thanks for that Robb.

I presume 2 - phenoxyethanol is readily available from the usual suppliers.

How is the original formaldehyde solution disposed of when switching to 2 - phenoxyethanol? I wouldn't like to put it down the sink.
Robb

Disposal of Waste Formaldehyde

Post by Robb »

Hi Judy,

The most effective way to dispose of Formaldehyde is to Evaporate it preferably in a Fume Cupboard, or in a well ventilated secluded area.

Pour the solution into a container with a large surface area to increase its efficiency, not forgetting to fill the container to a shallow depth.

This technique will certainly solve your problem.

There is another means of disposal, and that is to mix the solution with saw dust in order to dispose of this into normal solid waste. This however, will not alleviate the vapour given off by the Formaldehyde.

Hope this helps....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
JudyM

Post by JudyM »

I had heard somewhere it was possible to evaporate formaldehyde by pouring it into a thin stream onto the ground outside,but I wasn't too keen on that. Much safer to evaporate it in the fume cupboard.

Cheers