reverse osmosis water filters

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Post by RosalieM »

Can anyone tell me how water from these filters compare with distilled water? Do they waste much water like stills do? We start level 5 water restrictions next week... Continuing to purchase bottled distilled water indefinately isn't going to be fun.
Rosalie
souj
State/Location: WA

Post by souj »

Hi Rosalie,
We have a new reverse osmosis filter system-an Ibis Plus- produces good quality distilled water but it does waste a lot! It sends three times as much water to waste as it produces distilled(if that makes sense!) I get the watering cans used by the grounds staff to water the pot plants and collect the waste water in those- it is perectly OK for the plants-so I have about 20L for us and 60L for Grounds when I turn on the system. Prior to this we also bought bottled water- ended up with LOTS of empty bottles!
Jodie
ird
State/Location: QLD

Post by ird »

Gday All,

Just ordered today, a pair of "WHOLE OF HOUSE" twin 20" cartridge filter systems for use in both of our prep room mains water supply at our school, no waste at all.

This is for general water use, it would appear to be the answer to our main problems of ALGAE & CHLORINE, hopefully no more distillation required!!!

Hope this is of assistance. :wink2:
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

We purchased a "Vertex" bench top filter from Serrata over Christmas, and so far I am very happy with it. The pH is a little low at 5.5, but we were getting similar results from the bottled distilled water that we had been purchasing last year. The conductivity is 0.0uS. You can't get much better than that! It comes up perfectly clear with AgNO[sub]3[/sub]. Most importantly, my Chem teacher (who is one of those pedantic Sydney Uni chemists who insists on distilled water ONLY) seems happy with it.

The filter puts out 1 litre per minute, and although I generally run it for a minute or two to flush it out before I collect my lab supply, other than that, there is NO wastage!. I think the price was between $600 - $700.

So far, I think we are on a winner!

regards
Ian
Robbie

reverse osmosis water filter

Post by Robbie »

We also purchased a Vertex water deioniser - bench top model from Serrata for $685.00. So far it is excellent - no wastage whatever and no waiting for the water to filter through. The deioniser we used previously used to take half a day for about 4 litres to filter.

Would highly receommend it. We needed the General Assistant to change the lab style tap to one like a garden tap with the correct size thread. Apart from that there was no other preparation needed - just turn it on, let it flush through for a few minutes and it was ready!

Robbie
jilly

Reverse Osmosis Water Filter

Post by jilly »

I have just ordered a Vertex Water Deioniser for our Prep Room and am awaiting its arrival. So pleased to have positive feedback from other schools on it. I gave up using the water still in 2003 when the drought started to hit hard here and have been purchasing distilled water through our local hardware store. Our P&C generously gave the Science Dept the funds to purchase the deioniser AND a Video Flex 7600. Can wait for the Serrata order to arrive!!!
Jilly