Senses Boxes

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Senses Boxes

Post by bigmack »

Was packing these up and thought I might share .
These were something I was asked to make a few years ago .At the time I thought it was a bit lame , but they have been used over and over .There are four of each .
One is a tactile feel box . It has four holes that kids stick thier finger in and explain what they feel .The samples are glued under the Lid so they can't see them .
it has
1) Sand paper
2) Double sided sticky tape ( which needs replacing after several classes have used)
3)fur
4) steel wool
Touch Box.jpg
Inside touch box.jpg

The second is a smell Box .It has four specimen jars glued to the bottom with cotton wool to hold the liquids . Kids stick their nose in the hole and explain what they smell .
1) Clove oil
2) Vinegar
3) Camphor/Menthol
4) Dynamic Lifter ( they love that :crazy: )
Smell Box.jpg
Inside smell box.jpg
I cap them after use and take the lids of just before needed.This stops the smells mixing between compartments .
Capped for storage.jpg
It is what it is because I needed something at the time . would love to hear some other options , especially the smells .
I made these before Covid . I guess they aren't very Covid save , but that was yesterday :whistling2:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

Re: Senses Boxes

Post by RosalieL »

These look great! We just use essential oils or whatever I can find for the scent one. Oils on cotton wool in a Petri dish. They take the lid off to smell it. This year we did vanilla essence, coconut essence, lemon juice and an essential oil borrowed from a teacher and I can't remember what it was. The science teacher organised that one because all our essential oils were EMPTY!! I don't know why/how. I hadn't needed them since I started because of covid in 2021 so they may have been empty since before then. I like this more permanent kind of set-up. Saves raiding the food tech pantry!
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Senses Boxes

Post by bigmack »

Thanks Rosalie.
Personally I like the idea of petri dishes and essential oils . It would take up less storage space .
I may look at switching some of mine to what you are using . The Camphor smell is really strong and tends to overpower the others ,especially if left uncovered for too long.