Banned from 1 NOV

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
KassH
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: SPC KMPSY
State/Location: NSW

Re: Banned from 1 NOV

Post by KassH »

All good I found it.😊
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

KassH wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 12:27 All good I found it.😊
Sorry I didn’t see this topic had gone to the second page before posting the link. I’ll leave it there for anyone else who might come looking…
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Does anyone else feel even more confused after that webinar??? So we can continue to use our stock for science (or craft etc) just not buy replacements stuff, but we can’t use up staffroom stock at school functions such as morning teas/breakfasts, upcoming graduations etc?
labbassistant
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollongong High School

Post by labbassistant »

Yes. I was listening and we cannot use them at all but they then said we can if it isn’t for a ‘supplied’ use like catering but if it’s used for experiments and can be reused it’s ok? So I hope this doesn’t mean we will get in trouble if audited.
That’s how I understand it and now I’m not sure if we should be getting rid of our stock or not….
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

I have emailed to ask for clarification on that point. I couldn’t work out how to word it immediately after the presentation but got there eventually… I’ll let you know when I get a reply. I imagine they will be emailed with many questions! I provided two examples, one where we collect and reuse straws and a second one with straws for building bridges where the structural integrity is compromised and therefore can’t be reused and can we continue to use until we run out or do we need to dispose of them before 1st Nov. (I worded it better than that in the email…)
elaruu
School: SS

Post by elaruu »

Hi Rosalie. Just wondering if you have had clarification on these points yet? Thanks :-)
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

elaruu wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 12:14 Hi Rosalie. Just wondering if you have had clarification on these points yet? Thanks :-)
Yes, I did. They just replied with the same standard email and didn't address the specific points I asked about. If you would like me to forward the email so you can access the links just send me a PM with your email address.

This is their reply (I've made the relevant section bold):

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting the EPA about the single-use plastic bans. We hope that the below information will assist in answering your enquiry.

The Plastic Reduction and Circular Economy Act 2021 (PRCE Act) phases out the supply of some single-use plastic items in NSW, including in the education sector.

1 June 2022 – Bans to lightweight plastic bags
As of 1 June 2022, lightweight plastic bags with handles (35 microns or less) have been prohibited to supply in NSW. Examples of the types of bags that are banned and not banned can be found here.  

If your school has excess stock of lightweight plastic bags, these can no longer be supplied as part of your services or activities. The EPA has partnered with Great Plastic Rescue to assist in collecting and recycling excess stock. You may also consider alternate uses for any excess stock, such as using the bags as bin-liners or waste bags in your services.

1 November 2022 – Bans to other single-use plastic items
From 1 November 2022 the following plastic items will also be banned:
Plastic single-use cutlery (spoons, knives, forks, sporks, chopsticks)
Plastic single-use plates and bowls (excludes bowls with a spill proof lid)
Plastic single-use stirrers
Plastic single-use straws (with exemptions for people with a disability or other medical need)
Expanded polystyrene (EPS) food ware including bowls, cups, clamshell containers and plates
Plastic single-use cotton buds
Plastic microbeads in certain rinse off personal hygiene products

More information and images about what single use plastics will be banned from 1 November 2022 can be viewed here.
The bans on lightweight plastic bags and single-use plastic items includes any compostable and biodegradable alternatives such as those made of PLA, starch or corn based plastics. A more comprehensive list of banned and not banned items can be viewed in our FAQs, and information about alternatives to banned items are available here

What items are not banned?
The bans only apply to the items listed above. The following items commonly used in schools are not banned:
craft items such as: glitter, beads, string, plasticine, pipe cleaners, fishing line and sticky tape
stationery items such as: plastic sleeves, laminate pouches, rubber bands and tape
balloons
expanded polystyrene balls (such as those used for craft or science activities)
single-use gloves, masks, glasses and other personal protective equipment
pipettes, kidney dishes, agar plates, trays and syringes
platters, tongs and trays
freezer bags, zip-lock bags and cling wrap
cups (except for those made from EPS)
straws attached to juice boxes through a machine automated process
cotton buds included as part of medical kits such as first aid kids and covid-19 test kits

What items are exempt?
The EPA granted an ongoing exemption to allow supply of plastic single-use straws to persons with a disability or medical need. Any individual or organisation can act on behalf of a person who needs a straw including schools. No evidence is required to prove that a person requires a straw under the exemption. Please note, however, that plastic straws must not be kept on display. For example, straws may be available at a canteen and on request but must not be visible from the front counter.

The EPA has granted an exemption for the supply of plastic single-use cotton buds and plastic bowls for medical, scientific or forensic purposes, as part of permitted kits (e.g. medical, scientific or forensic testing kits). This exemption will be reviewed after 1 November 2024.

There is also a two-year exemption to 31 October 2024 for plastic lined paper plates and bowls. Examples include takeaway cardboard and bagasse (sugar cane pulp) bowls without lids, and printed or colour paper ‘party’ plates and bowls.

Will other items be banned in the future?
The PRCE Act includes a pathway for review of additional items, with a view to future bans. Items that will be reviewed by 2024 include:
plastic bowls (including lids)
plastic cups (including lids)
oxo-degradable plastics
non-compostable fruit stickers
heavyweight plastic shopping bags
barrier / produce bags

We encourage you to consider alternatives for other single-use plastic items moving forward.

What can I do to prepare?
The EPA understands that some schools may be using banned plastic items such as at canteens or during science or art classes. We encourage you to:
prepare your staff volunteers and clients by informing them early about the ban and what changes to expect
stop ordering banned items now and use up existing stock
do a stock-take to work out how long it will take to exhaust your banned items
speak to your supplier if you have large amounts of stock. They may accept returns or exchanges
contact a local recycler to see if they can take some items if you cannot exhaust, return, exchange or transfer your stock in time.

Small businesses and community organisations who need assistance to recycle excess stock can register with the Great Plastic Rescue.

Some questions you can ask your supplier:
Do these items comply with the NSW plastics ban that comes into effect in 2022?
Can you confirm that they do not contain any form of polymer, plastic, or compostable plastic?
Are my plastic bags more than 35 microns in thickness at all parts of the bag?
If your supplier cannot answer yes to all of these questions, the items may be banned. (Note that alternatives to EPS containers or cups can be made from other forms of plastic).

Can I reuse existing items?

Feedback provided to the EPA has indicated that some schools may re-use banned items multiple times such as for science experiments and demonstrations. These items may continue to be re-used, but new items must not be purchased for use after 1 November 2022. Schools also should not accept any donations of banned items from parents or other organisations for use after this date.

Compliance with the bans
These bans apply to all of those carrying on a business in NSW, including educational services, activities and events, whether for profit or not-for-profit. The PRCE Act sets out a broad range of enforcement tools to enable the EPA to take regulatory action where appropriate. This includes the ability to issue penalty notices, prosecute for offences and to issue compliance notices to suppliers or occupiers.

The EPA is committed to a fair and considered approach to regulation, and to educating and spreading awareness of the bans. We understand that a one-fits all approach does not work for all industries and are working with organisations to get the best outcome for the environment while taking into account individual circumstances. More information about the EPA’s Regulatory Policy can be viewed here.

Additional resources
The EPA recently held webinars in relation to single-use plastics bans for the education sector. We hope that you were able to join one of these sessions. The webinars have been recorded and can be accessed here.

The EPA is also supporting the National Retail Association to hold weekly Q&A webinar sessions every Friday at 10am in the lead up to the 1 November 2022 plastic bans. The sessions are open to all businesses, community organisations and other impacted stakeholders to ask questions about the ban and how to prepare. Registration for these events can be completed here.

Should you have any questions in relation to the above, please direct these to plastics@epa.nsw.gov.au

Kind regards,

Kate Doutney
Unit Head, Compliance – Prohibited Plastics
Engagement Education and Programs
NSW Environment Protection Authority
D 02 8275 1566 | M 0409 625 996
elaruu
School: SS

Post by elaruu »

Thank you Rosalie. That's helpful :)
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Has anyone had trouble convincing "higher up" that this is actually a thing and that schools are not exempt?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I look forward to hearing your comments, regarding Higher up,
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

RosalieL wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 09:13 Has anyone had trouble convincing "higher up" that this is actually a thing and that schools are not exempt?
Sorry not quite understanding your question Rosalie .

By the looks of the highlighted text in your email , it looks like we are OK to keep using plastic things so long as we will washup and reuse ???
Is this how you understand it ?

Are you asking if we are having issues convincing higher up that it is OK for us to keep reusing these items
Are we except or not ?
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

No, as in convincing them that we can't be using the remaining plastic bowls and plates at functions/parent info nights etc. (to be discarded after one use).

I've just had a follow-up chat with the person higher up and the response this time was a lot less dismissive than the initial conversation last term. I don't think I actually need to worry about them not wanting to comply now!
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

RosalieL wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 13:24 No, as in convincing them that we can't be using the remaining plastic bowls and plates at functions/parent info nights etc. (to be discarded after one use).

I've just had a follow-up chat with the person higher up and the response this time was a lot less dismissive than the initial conversation last term. I don't think I actually need to worry about them not wanting to comply now!
I see , yes , no worries about that here . They are all on board about not using them .Most have all been handed out already just to get rid of them before the cut off .

I thought you were talking about trying to convince them that we could still use them in Science . That will be my problem . The email response you posted last week is the only written statement to actually suggest its OK , even then, it's a bit vague.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

bigmack wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 13:59
I thought you were talking about trying to convince them that we could still use them in Science . That will be my problem . The email response you posted last week is the only written statement to actually suggest its OK , even then, it's a bit vague.
Did you watch the online seminar about it?
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

RosalieL wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 15:05
bigmack wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 13:59
No I didn't . Ran out of time .Will see how I go .
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

bigmack wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 08:22
RosalieL wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 15:05
No I didn't . Ran out of time .Will see how I go .
[/quote]

It's available online if you registered for it even if you didn't watch it at the time. If you get a chance it might be worth watching and showing the relevant bits to the skeptics.
gotolady

Post by gotolady »

Thanks for all the information relating to the plastics ban. I am a DOE school that has NOT been told about this. I brought it up to the powers that be and they totally disregarded anything I had to say.
I now have decided that I won't purchase any more plastics but will use up the products I have and the school can wear any fines or whatever are the outcomes from incorrect plastic use.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

gotolady wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 09:15 Thanks for all the information relating to the plastics ban. I am a DOE school that has NOT been told about this. I brought it up to the powers that be and they totally disregarded anything I had to say.
I now have decided that I won't purchase any more plastics but will use up the products I have and the school can wear any fines or whatever are the outcomes from incorrect plastic use.
It's $55,000 for the business and $11,000 for the individual so I would be not using what they have banned. You don't want to have to pay the $11,000 if you are caught. There is not actually a lot that has been banned that affects us. Straws, polystyrene cups and plastic cutlery are the main ones, but if they are being washed and re-used then that's ok anyway.

I am still working out what to do for straws that are used for blowing into water/universal indicator or limewater... What do you all think about silicon straws and sending them out in a Miltons solution? Or would stainless steel be better? I will need to order them for the start of school next year I think.

PS that really sucks that no-one will listen to you :redcard:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

The whole collection thing is a bit ridiculous. One 100L box will be collected free of charge. Items can be dropped off in Botany in Sydney. I don't have a 100L box but they have told me I can tape multiple boxes together. Really, at the end of the day, it sounds easier to drop them in the bin.

gotolady - yep, if the hierarchy don't care, don't see why you should either.