Ordering chemicals from USA

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

Ordering chemicals from USA

Post by RosalieL »

Has anyone ordered chemicals from the US before? Where would I go to find if there are import restrictions, extra charges etc?

Specifically, I am looking at the Briggs-Rauscher Oscillating Reaction Kit which I can't find anywhere in Australia.
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Re: Ordering chemicals from USA

Post by Anna Z »

You could ask them if they have an Australian distributor, or if you have a good sales rep with one of the suppliers you use you could try harrassing them.

Alternatively, you could do the traffic light prac. Colours go from Green, red, yellow to black and the keep changing the more you move the liquid between beakers.

Traffic Light
Science Concept: The color of a solution changes as a result of changing levels of oxygen in the solution.
Materials & Pre-Demo Preparations:
- 6 g of D-glucose
- About 25 mL of 1M NaOH
- About 5 mL indigo carmine indicator solution, (1% solution - 1 g per 100 ml water)
- 50 mL of distilled water

1) Weigh 6 g of D-glucose and add to a small beaker
2) Dilute the glucose in 50 mL of distilled water, stirring it until completely dissolved
3) Add about 5 drops of indigo carmine indicator solution, until the colour turns deep blue, and stir the solution to evenly distribute the indicator
4) Add 25 mL of NaOH to the beaker, changing the colour of the solution to green and stir the solution to evenly distribute the NaOH
5) If the solution is too dark in colour to see properly, dilute with a small amount of distilled water

After approximately one minute of standing, the colour should change from green to red. After a further minute the colour should change from red to yellow. This can then be agitated to change the colour back from yellow to red, then green. Pouring it between a couple of beakers is a good way to demonstrate this change.

Explanation: The indigo carmine indicator changes color as a result of the changing levels of oxygen in the solution. The solution is originally yellow in color, but when the flask is shaken, oxygen dissolves into the solution, therefore oxidizing the indicator, and changing the color to red. When the flask is shaken again, the levels of oxygen increase more, and will oxidize the indicator further, causing it to turn green. When the solution is left alone, however, the oxygen concentration drops due to a reaction with the dextrose, so the solution will turn back to its original yellow color.
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

If you really want to do that specific reaction...this guy does a good demo on Youtube....you should have all the stuff he talks about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHJYA2y ... fChemistry
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

Post by RosalieL »

I managed to find all the chemicals in the store room in the end… I’m glad I didn’t end up needing to order any! Thanks for the video link, Anna Z. I had forgotten about the traffic light one, too. I’ll suggest it to the teachers as well.
Anna Z

Post by Anna Z »

It's so much fun doing it with Primary kids. Our seniors are a little more switched on and don't get very excited ;)