Vacuum Pump

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
remlap12
State/Location: NSW

Vacuum Pump

Post by remlap12 » 05 Mar 2019, 11:04

Hi all,

We need to purchase a new vacuum pump, what do you all recommend?
My H.T. wants a good one, she looked in the Labtek catalogue and saw a Diaphragm vacuum pump for $865.
They also have a Rocker 300 vacuum pump for $521.
Does anyone know what the difference is between the two, she has no idea and neither do I!.........

Thanks in advance,
Helen.
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:

Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Vacuum Pump

Post by Merilyn1 » 05 Mar 2019, 11:11

Hi Helen
I'm sure someone here will be able to explain the difference - I can't. But a couple of years ago, I was looking to replace our vacuum pump and was recommended that I buy an oil-free one. I never did actually buy it as I changed schools shortly after.

remlap12

Post by remlap12 » 05 Mar 2019, 11:36

Hi Merilyn,

Yes, the little bit of research I've done seems to suggest most of them are oil free now.
Which is where I was hoping to head!
I just don't want to waste money on a fancier one if the cheaper ones are sufficient for our needs.
Regards
remlap12

bigmack
Name: Richard
Job Title: Lab Assistant Part time

Post by bigmack » 05 Mar 2019, 11:56

Only thing I can see is that diaphragm pumps are more chemical resistant than the rocker which I think is the piston type .

I guess it depends what you will use it on and the likelihood of corrosive vapours etc getting sucked into it . If it was just for bell jars and perhaps sucking some chalk through a glass crucible type setup I'm sure the cheaper one would last a lifetime.....the rate we use them .

However , I'm just a sceptical bastard though so I can't help but think that a piston in a bore with no lubrication ( oil free) is not going to last :crazy:

remlap12

Post by remlap12 » 05 Mar 2019, 13:29

Ha Ha bigmack,

I hear you!!
The one we had worked fine, it was just a basic little one......but it seems that it grew legs.....
Regards
remlap12