A bit off topic...

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

A bit off topic...

Post by Merilyn1 »

Hi All
I know a lot of you are responsible for over seeing the annual updating of the chemical register. I've come across some interesting things, here and just wondered if you had come across anything similar.
Firstly, I have discovered that some glazes contain lead (II) oxide - up to 1% and cadmium oxide - up to 0.5%. Any thoughts on this? Do you know if your own school has these types of things? I am pleased that the art teacher came and asked me about them rather than just hiding them at the back of the cupboard.
Secondly, Safework require that we keep a register of hazardous chemicals. I know from past experience at another school, if I don't specify "hazardous", I get all sorts of things added, including tea, coffee and sugar in the staff room!! So I now just focus on the hazardous substances. However, I am concerned that things get used without any thought. This is especially a problem in the junior school with non-hazardous things like paint and glue. I still want to just keep the register to hazardous chemicals and think that teachers should be doing risk assessments on their class activities before they start the activity. Any thoughts on this process? What do you do?
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Re: A bit off topic...

Post by linotas »

We have a brilliant art technician who is a ceramicist herself and the first thing she did was get rid of all the glazes with lead in them! There are still a couple that pop up on the hazardous chemical list, but the vast majority have been replaced with non hazardous versions.

As for what is included on the register...I think that is the 22 million dollar question. I am looking at the mess that ours is (I have one day a week to solely spend of chemical management of the whole school and it's subsidiaries (private school) Part of me wants all chemicals on the list, but then you have to draw a line somewhere and I think that is if it is in domestic quantities for domestic use e.g. the odd bottle of hand soap. But the hazardous register only requires those chemicals classed as hazardous. I've read so much on all this that my head is going in circles. Is this just those chemicals with DG class and hazard statements? or all chemicals with hazard statements that don't have a DG code?

I am all for risk assessments on activities but where do you draw the line? Do you get a teacher to do a RA before they let the kids paint on paper? Cut paper? use playdough? This isn't an issue with me so much as I work with year 11/12's. As much as I am a stickler for WHS, I think common sense needs to be used or else it becomes ridiculous.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: A bit off topic...

Post by Merilyn1 »

According to Riskassess, and I'm always confident with their advice, teachers can do a risk assessment at the start of the year for things like using scissors, paint, glue etc given the class will not change. I was thinking with the junior school, the teachers should be aware of what to do in the event of a student ingesting paint, getting it in their eye etc. Oh, things you don't think about with high school students!
Safework NSW expect us to keep a register of hazardous chemicals so I don't believe these sort of things need to be on the register. Science Assist have a lot of information confirming that only hazardous chemicals need to be on a register. Having said that, for Science I record everything as it becomes my stocktake so the science teachers know what we have on hand. Science Assist recommends this course of action.
My interesting lesson this week has been that red glaze seems to be the nasty stuff!