Potassium dichromate solution wine titrations

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Potassium dichromate solution wine titrations

Post by nickykinz »

How does everyone feel about using potassium dichromate solution? We use it for 12chem wine titrations. In the past I haven't been too worried, as long as the students had been warned that it is nasty, as I figure they only use it for a short period of time during wine EEI's and then never use it again. But the warnings seem to be getting harsher. Even for the 0.04M solution that we use it says things like "fatal if inhaled" "Should not be handled by pregnant women. Women of reproductive age should avoid handling the chemical.". With teenage girls and young female teachers doing this prac, as well as everyone else who can breathe, I am wondering if we should be thinking of stopping using it. The HOD isn't keen to stop as she feels that they need to be able to do the titration to do a decent EEI and I don't know of another way to do the titration using less nasty chemicals. The same titration also uses 40% sulfuric acid which also has some scary warnings on it.
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
Shell1
Job Title: lab assistant
School: SJBC
Suburb: Engadine
State/Location: NSW

Re: Potassium dichromate solution wine titrations

Post by Shell1 »

We got rid of all our dichromates about 5 yrs ago due to their carcinogenic nature.
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickykinz »

Do you do any wine chemistry?
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
Shell1
Job Title: lab assistant
School: SJBC
Suburb: Engadine

Post by Shell1 »

No we don't sorry.
jodye
Suburb: central coast

Post by jodye »

I just told my HOD about potassium dichromate and we looked at the SDS. The first thing she said was to get rid of it, it's too dangerous. 8O
We don't do wine titrations. We use HCl and NaOH for our titrations.
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

I was just wondering if anyone used dichromate to illustrate the reactivity of primary v secondary v tertiary alcohol? It seems odd that a school lab would be without dichromate.
Also rather than doing esterification prac, we often do the reverse and recover the carboxylic acid and alcohol - dichromate once again used to confirm the presence of the primary alcohol as one of the decomposition products.
And what do you use to synthesise aldehydes?
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot