Chemical register/ stock take

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Jennag
Job Title: Lab tech
School: Clare High School
Suburb: Clare
State/Location: SA

Chemical register/ stock take

Post by Jennag »

Hi,
Having fallen into the job like a fair few labbies in school world i took on the job nearly 2 yrs ago. We have just a WHS audit and have done pretty ok out of it all considering what the area was like when i started working. One if the few things that i did know had to be done but wasnt was a Chemical register. Many moons ago the labbie from about 10 years ago said they did it on chemwatch but i cant find anything on there and assume it is no longer. Any suggestions on the best way to go about it and not spend my days wasting time. I am due to go on maternity leave at the end of the term and would love it done before then as the relief labbie is definitely not science savvy.

Any help would be great. The school has kindly set aside time and money for me to get this up to scratch.

Jenna
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Chemical register/ stock take

Post by bigmack »

Call Chemwatch on (03) 9573 3157 . They should be able to help you recover what is there . They are very helpful

When they ask for your account , assuming you are a DoE school then your the account will be decXXXX where XXXX is your school number .

Little changes from year to year so probably most of the hard work is done fore you . Sure Chemwatch can be a dog at times but most likely you will only have to amend a few volumes .
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Post by Merilyn1 »

I transferred our register to a spreadsheet from Chemwatch. I just found it much easier to produce what I felt was simple to understand. If you are in a hurry, probably getting the Chemwatch one up and running will be easier in the short term. You can convert the Chemwatch version to an Excel version fairly easily if you have the time. I found that the hard work converting it last year, paid off this year. Took me less than an hour to print off all the lists for the whole school and my own stocktake was quicker as the chemicals were listed in an order that married up with the Chem Store. PM me if you would like a template.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

If you want to use a spreadsheet for your chemical register, there is a Proforma on Risk Assess under Learning Resources. It is helpful especially if you're starting from scratch.
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa
State/Location: QLD

Post by pkij »

Science assist has an excel list of recommended chemicals for schools, it contains all the safety information GHS, DG etc. I have just downloaded the list, saved as my College register and deleted chemicals we don't have. It is editable so I added a column for location.
They do update on science assist sometimes so will have to check this.
Jennag
Job Title: Lab tech
School: Clare High School
Suburb: Clare
State/Location: SA

Post by Jennag »

Can you send me the spreadsheets you use i am very interested as chemwatch has been very unhelpful
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

This may help :wub: :clap3:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

Whats the packaging group? I thought it was just the Class?
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

The CSIS tells us we must have the Dangerous Packaging group, as well as the class, do not ask me why seems silly to me.
Regards Labbie

Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

My chem register has been accepted by the auditing team every year since I have been here, (6 years) I don't have the packaging group. I have its class, and the date of the SDS (all within 5 years).
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I guess each audit team has different things they are looking for. Still as long as we pass, that's the main thing.
Regards Labbie

superbug

Post by superbug »

we use packaging group to ensure we have not gone over the limit for storage amounts on site.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

Did anyone hear about the mass amounts of ammonium nitrate that was found in a boat off Bali (i think?) and i thought yeah, geez, all we want is 500gms!
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Yeah, they were really only going to sell it on the black market to desperate labbies!