Cauliflower Cloning

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Soozle
State/Location: NSW

Cauliflower Cloning

Post by Soozle »

Hi,
I work in a High School and a teacher has asked if I can get together the chemicals for this prac. The chemicals required are Kinetin, Murashige and Skoog (MS) medium, plain Agar and Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate (Milton sterilising tablet). As they are not included in CSIS they have no age classification. I have checked SDS for them and the hazards can seem awful, but so do a lot of harmless things. I'm not sure whether to go ahead with this. The school suppliers don't stock the chemicals so I would have to source them from other suppliers. I am happy to do this once I know that it is a safe prac for the students. Feeling out of my depth and need some help before I go ahead. I appreciate your help.
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Re: Cauliflower Cloning

Post by ELIZABETH »

We've just bought a plant culture kit to do this very thing!! It looks fascinating (if a little challenging!)
I'll PM you the supplier's details.
Cheers
Soozle

Post by Soozle »

I have just watched the demo videos and it seems quite an easy prac for the students, it would take a little time to source everything and make the medium. Here are the links:
How best to use this in the classroom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEbGnJnVuLI
How to prepare the growth medium: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEbGnJnVuLI they are 5mins long each.
Any comments?
Soozle

Post by Soozle »

Thanks Elizabeth that's great.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Chemsupply and Sigma Aldrich both stock Kinetin but looking at the price for just 1g of this stuff it will be an extremely expensive exercise. Sigma Aldrich also has little or no supply in stock at the moment for both Kinetin and the Murashige and Skoog medium for cell culture. They are waiting for stock to come in.