concentrated cobalt chloride

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
lab-woman
State/Location: NSW

concentrated cobalt chloride

Post by lab-woman »

Hi Everyone,
My senior chemistry teacher has asked me for a concentrated cobalt chloride solution with 70% water and 30% metho. So....how much of the cobalt chloride do I actually weigh out for the "concentrated " 100ml solution? This is for a yr 12 prac.
Help....
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Re: concentrated cobalt chloride

Post by ELIZABETH »

I found this....maybe it will help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

for equilibrium prac,as a demo, all you need is
cobalt solution - 1g of CoCl2.6h2O in 10 mL of 2 - propanol. Then add water drop wise until the deep blue solution just turns pink ( in the test tube or 10 mL specimen jar)
1 ice bath
1 water bath at 100 degrees C
Cheers Jazz
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

generally for saturated solutions - go to the Chemical data book - or the internet and look for the solubility OF THE COMPOUND. I t will be given in gms per 100 mL at 20 deg C.. that is the maximum weight of the compound that will stay in solution at that temperature in water. I boil the water and add a little more than this weight per 100 ml, stir until dissolved then cool the solution - and you have a saturated solution.- THAT IS IN water ONLY..
lab-woman

Post by lab-woman »

Thanks heaps everyone. Ended up going with Jazz's equilibrium prac. Worked a treat. Gotta love chemtalk!!