GHS Labeling

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville
State/Location: NSW

Re: GHS Labeling

Post by Xenon »

Hi Bec. I started using Chemwatch but switched to RiskAssess when became available because you can generally enter whatever molarity or %age you want, but not with iodine for reasons unknown. So sometimes I check with Chemwatch if not happy with RA.
Xe, SD, KOPR
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga
State/Location: NSW

Post by Loopy »

Good morning,
I have Risk Assess and Chemical Label Maker. Chem label has more detail but is good when you want to make your own label - but RA the preferred label maker for me. I would suggest go with RA as Philip Crisp has been involved in Chem Safety for many years and has researched what is legal. It is impossible to keep second guessing the "powers that be" [-o<
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Found this in a link on the DET portal .It seems to be the most up to date directive for DET schools.
Chemical safety fact sheet - Globally Harmonised System of Classification (GHS)

On 10 June 2016 the Department published advice through School Biz concerning the introduction of
the GHS system of chemicals. This fact sheet provides further information for schools in relation
to this change.

What is the GHS?

The Globally Harmonised System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (the GHS) is an
international regulation created to ensure that chemicals across the world are classified using the
same system. It also ensures that chemical hazard information is communicated in a consistent way
using standardised labels and safety data sheets (SDS).
GHS is in place from 1 January 2017 What are the changes?
The changes affect the way chemicals are classified and how information about chemical hazards is
communicated. There are 3 key changes:

1. Chemicals are classified according to GHS hazard categories and classes. Classification is
shown visually using new hazard pictograms – you can see the pictograms on the SafeWork NSW facts
sheet on the SafeWork NSW facts sheet.

2. Labels are standardised according to GHS “labelling element” format. New, simplified hazard and
precautionary statements and signal words are used by manufacturers on products.

3. Safety Data Sheets (SDS) are standardised using a set GHS section format with consistent
language and content. All NSW government schools can access these using ChemWatch database.

What is different?

The basic legal duties in relation to managing hazardous chemicals are not changed by the GHS. This
includes existing requirements to identify hazards through safety data sheets, assess risks,
implementing appropriate exposure controls, maintain a hazardous chemical register, use correct
labelling and train staff.
How do I ensure my school/workplace complies with the GHS?

While the Chemical Safety in Schools (CSIS) package is being updated to include GHS, the following
advice is important to note and implement.

© 2015 NSW DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION December 2016
FACT074 V1 Page 1 of 2

Chemical safety fact sheet - Globally Harmonised System of Classification (GHS)

What does my school/workplace need to do?

• All new chemical products purchased must have GHS labels - From 1st January 2017
Schools/Workplaces must not purchase or accept chemicals that do not have GHS format labels and
Safety Data Sheets from suppliers.
• Updated safety data sheets – All hazardous chemicals, old and new, should have a GHS compliant
SDS. Schools can access the SDS through the DoE ChemWatch subscription. These SDS can be used to
support the existing Chemical Safety in Schools advice, when chemicals are used outside of the CSIS
controls. Chemical Safety In Schools eliminates the need for risk assessments when chemicals are
used within the DETRA controls, as all the substances listed have been risk assessed).
• Remember, old stock does not need to re-labelled if it is in its original containers, with
currently compliant labels – they will have risk and safety phrases.
• Newly decanted chemicals from 1/1/17 must be labelled in the GHS format. Existing
decanted/diluted chemicals will be relabelled in accordance with CSIS advice. Further advice will
be issued through Asset Management Directorate in term 1 2017.

SafeWork advice on GHS can be found here.

For further information and advice contact the Asset Management Directorate compliance and safety
unit on (02) 9561 1011 or your WHS Consultant through the incident report and support hotline on
1800 811 523 (press option 6).

© 2015 NSW DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION December 2016
FACT074 V1 Page 2 of 2
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Oh I hope that is relevant to Victoria, bigmack. I was going to go back and relabel everything. We only got a direct instruction to implement GHS at the end of last year and Chemwatch is a bit iffy when I'm in a hurry. So if I only have to do the new stuff it should be do-able. Risk Assess just seems too excessive for what I need and a bit paper wasting I thought.