Riskassess Safety Training Course

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Riskassess Safety Training Course

Post by Merilyn1 »

I was fortunate enough to be able to go to the two training days last week run by Phillip Crisp. Really happy I went, very informative with some clear guidelines of what we need to be doing. Well worthwhile for labbies and teachers. :clap3:
lfn

Re: Riskassess Safety Training Course

Post by lfn »

I was there as well ,That's true, it was really helpful :thumbup: :clap3:
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Any tips or other info you can pass on would be gratefully accepted! I forgot it was on?!
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Big tip: wait until Riskassess release their labelling function before embarking on relabelling. At a minimum, on a small label, need the description (name, molarity), signal word, hazard pictogram. The pictograms need to be 15mm high at a minimum. Old chemicals will need to be relabelled with a GHS compliant label.

Just a good overview of what should be happening, not only in Science but in the whole school.

A bit of help with using Riskassess and Student Riskassess. Also covered lots of other things like fire safety, electrical safety etc. I certainly went for the labelling and storage of chemicals.

Overall, just got me thinking about lots of things that we could be doing better.

The biggest tip: get along to the next course if you can. Well worth the money (and the two hour drive from the Southern Highlands)! :D
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

Merilyn did Phillip say when the next Course may be??????
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Would it be useful for those who don't use Riskassess?

Kathryn
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

They haven't set more dates yet, apart from one in Tasmania this week. They will be advertised on the Riskassess website, but for those that don't subscribe to it, I'll try to remember to post the details here.

Still be worthwhile to do, even if you don't subscribe as there is a lot of general WHS information. Of course, he is trying to sell his product so there is a session on using Riskassess and Student Riskassess and he was also promoting the forthcoming labelling feature. But those things aside, there was a lot of good information and opportunities to ask questions. He has two rants - Chemwatch is not designed for schools and the WHS law applies to ALL schools. So I wouldn't recommend the course to people who love Chemwatch and those who think their school doesn't have to do risk assessments.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

Do we know if there will be an online course for those of us who cannot easily make it to capital cities for the face to face? Or even better some courses at regional centres??

I would have loved to go, but I just couldn't get there...
karend

Post by karend »

I could not go either; 9 hour drive or plane trip (3 hour drive to catch plane)! Online course would be great!!
Samantham

Post by Samantham »

I went and thought it was worth the 6hr drive I did to get there, but I'm young and single and not everyone can make that much time
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I had a two hour drive each way, each day - still worth it though.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

I just attended the Tassie one (2.5 hour drive and 2 night stay...my school is big on staff safety so driving up and back was not an option) and it was well worth it, particularly if you do not know much about the new laws. WHS is a bit of an interest of mine, so not everything was new to me, but still well worth going.