Old Skeleton Disposal ?

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma
State/Location: QLD

Old Skeleton Disposal ?

Post by Graham Kemp »

Our anatomical skeleton has worn out. The wires are snapping and plastic starting to break apart. So we have ordered a replacement.

The question is, what to do with the old skeleton so it doesn't become a CSI case down the road?
Debbie

Re: Old Skeleton Disposal ?

Post by Debbie »

I donated our old one to the art department - they loved it!!
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS
State/Location: NSW

Post by J »

I did the same.
They appreciated his slightly unique form! :giggle: :giggle:
tigger
Job Title: Lab tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tigger »

Our old one is going to the local TAFE as they do forensics :clap3:
Tigger
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

We actually had a skeleton in pieces the wooden box it was marked prepared in India, you only had to look at the teeth to know it was real, "freaky" we hadn't had it out of the cupboard for years because we were worried about parents complaining. How we originally obtained it who knows. When we were renovating in 2006 we looked at getting it disposed of properly through the local funeral directors, which were going to charge us a fortune.

It was suggested that I bury it in a certain spot, thankfully I had more brains at the time and said no, the spot was dug up last year for further renovations. we ended up taxi trucking it to a university for teaching purposes without telling the taxi truck company what they were carrying. :crazy:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

I believe it was quite common for skeletons to be obtained from India, especially in the days when plastics weren't as good as they are now. Smart thinking not to have just buried it! Police would have had a field day!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

The Police took ours, as they were real bones. Guess they have more power for disposal. They never told us how they disposed of them. But at least they went.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I can imagine there are some people out there who would love it to put up as decoration
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma

Post by Graham Kemp »

Excellent advise, all, and in particular thanks, Labbie.

Having the police dispose of it somewhere that they know about will avoid it being a surprise to them if it is accidentally unearthed there.

#-o The logic is so obvious in hindsight.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I sometimes wonder what will happen if the very old house I used to own is ever demolished and the gardens all dug up. Every pet we had that died was buried in the garden with a special plant on top - there will be bones of dogs [very large and small], cats, rabbits, budgies, goldfish, carp guinea pigs ...
A friend once asked if I could bury her favourite horse there - I drew the line at that one!