IEC non-glass hofmann voltameter

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
glenpaul
State/Location: NSW

IEC non-glass hofmann voltameter

Post by glenpaul »

Hi All
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
Does anyone else have a non - glass Hofmann voltameter from IEC. I purchased one a couple of years ago and it was perfect the first time we used it. I washed it and let it dry then put it with the glass ones in the store room.The next time we filled it to use it it leaked everywhere.
I rang IEC and they insisted I had not washed it out before putting it away. I returned it and they replaced it with a new one. The exact same thing has happened to this one. They recommend 5 - 7% sulphuric acid and I always use 1.0M so that is ok isn't it?
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo
State/Location: NSW

Re: IEC non-glass hofmann voltameter

Post by Mother »

Hi there.
For a start...... I didn't know you could buy non-glass hofmann voltameters!!!!! So to get back to your leak....... I have 2 glass ones and when teachers are finished with them I rinse out with distilled water a few times and then fill them half way up with distilled water and leave them on a retort stand with a bosshead and clamp. This way keeps the rubber from drying out and splitting which is probably the reason yours is leaking.
H2SO4 strength would't make any difference just so long as you rinse out soon after the prac is done.
Hope this helps you.
Cheers
Mother