Acid Cabinet

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
nahrein.yaghoubpour
State/Location: NSW

Acid Cabinet

Post by nahrein.yaghoubpour »

Hi,
Can someone please tell me where is the best place to buy acid cabinet from?
I need to replace ours because there is acid vapour running down its door. I have been told this is very dangerous.
I only have 1L hcl & 1L H2SO4 in it.
Thankls for your help in advance.
Nahrein
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: Acid Cabinet

Post by smiley »

I got mine from Westlab and it is excellent.
Cheers, K 8-)
Mau23
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: The Geelong College - Middle School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Mau23 »

Blackwoods. Really good prices and huge range.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Are your bottles "sweating"? My decanted stuff does but the bulk acids seem to also but only a little bit. Does this stop in an acid cupboard or is the "sweat" merely contained?????
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

The only way bottles will stop sweating is for the acid cabinet to be exhausted to the outside. I have a small cabinet (middle school) which has been exhausted to the outside and am not having too many problems with the acids. However my new acid cupboard (senior school) which is a high density polyethylene is not vented with an extraction fan and I am currently having problems with a large container of sulfuric acid which appears to be sweating profusely. I have conc. hydrochloric on the shelf above and in the other half of the divided cupboard I have acetic acid stored above the nitric acid. Not ideal but I don't know where else to put the nitric. I also do not know if the sweating on the sulfuric container is due to the hydrochloric acid. The cupboard has had piping installed to the exterior of our new shipping/chemical container but no motorised extraction system installed. So everything is really hot at the moment. The shipping container is like a large incubator.

Would appreciate advice on the storage problem with the nitric and acetic acid.

Lyn.