Insurance travelling while shopping for school

for anything else that doesn't fit.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Insurance travelling while shopping for school

Post by sunray18 »

With the new regulations in NSW, does anyone know if we are covered by insurance if we drive our own car to do shopping etc for school, both in and out of school hours?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Insurance travelling while shopping for school

Post by Labbie »

No we are not covered. When you fill in your insurance details, most of us tick Private. If you have a bussiness you tick business. We are not covered in any way what so ever. That is why I go shopping for school when I go shopping for my family.

To me its a silly thing, but I can not see a way around it.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Do the new regs change workers comp laws? I must admit I have no idea about it here in Tas and just assumed I would be covered by workers compensations. In fact I may just go say good morning to the business manager and find out.......
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

I had a misshap at the shops shopping for school two weeks ago and was covered for compo but in nsw we only get 95% of our wage while on compo thats the new law. :redcard:
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

Well that's interesting Noona. Because I was involved in an incident last term that I think you should all be aware of.
I was on an inservice in Sydney with another lab tech, and at the end of the day as we were making our way back to the train station to return to Wollongong, Anne fell down the stairs and injured her ankle. She was told she was not covered for worker's comp. And after contacting our union guy for clarification on the new rules, he advised us in future to come to school first, then sign out, go to train station, do whatever, then repeat return journey home via school. Not always practical when you live between school and Sydney!! And as far as picking up stuff at Woolies/butchers/etc on the way to and from school, don't do it as you're not covered. Come to school sign out, go shopping, return to school, sign in.
Ellice 8)
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

THE PSA union, have always said for about 4 years now, we are not covered, at all. I was most interested to read Noona was covered, was it the schools car or your own???? Or are the shops covering you?
Regards Labbie

Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

It depends on your insurance policy, check with your insurer if you are covered, I have just done that, it cost me extra on my premium for 'occassional' work use for my car, however I cannot carry paying passengers or dangerous goods. Workers comp will cover you if you are injured, but the car isnt, best to check with own insurer.
I think that is mean Ellice, most of the time it is impractical to go to school first, my school wouldnt be open anyway if I went there before an in-service as I have to travel to Sydney or Newcastle for them too, I live inbetween.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I go shopping on my way to work. after reading your posts I asked our insurance dude-guy and he said.
"Given the scenario and especially the fact that the worker is stopping to purchase work materials, I would imagine that if injured on her way to or from the supermarket she would be covered by Workers Compensation. Obviously we cannot give you a definitive answer until a claim is lodged but there would be an argument to support that any such injury would be in the course of employment and therefore covered. Should you have any queries or wish to discuss further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Cheers Jazz
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickykinz »

In terms of the car insurance, if I was in an accident on my from work to the shops or from the shops to my home who is to say what I was doing in my car? If I have left work I could be going to the shops for any reason and if I am on my home, I'm on my way home! Just cos I have a bag of bicarb in my car, I could be planning on doing lots of baking!
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
lada

Post by lada »

I asked our bussiness manager and he was a bit unsure as well. He said, I would be covered to the shops but not from shops to my home. When asked if we are covered to and from work, he said legislation is unclear. So clear as mud, I say.
Lada
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

So I under stand all this, NO ONE is covered to & from work, that stopped 1st Nov 2012 this year. And thats everyone in Australia. If you are injuried while at work, you are still covered, once you leave the school you are NOT.
Regards Labbie

lada

Post by lada »

Sue, if you are shopping for school, you are covered to shops, at shops and back to school. If you are shopping on the way home, you are covered to shops, at shops but NOT on the way home.
Lada
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Does that include your car? Do schools have insurance to cover damage to the car if you are on school business?
Jen2
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen2 »

my union covers me for insurance for trips from home to work and work to home, they promote this as a reason to join.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

lada wrote:Sue, if you are shopping for school, you are covered to shops, at shops and back to school. If you are shopping on the way home, you are covered to shops, at shops but NOT on the way home.
Lada
I am not covered to the shops or from the shops. But once inside the shops I would be covered by the shop or shopping centre. insurance. To me this is a silly thing, Not covered to & from work, but covered once inside the school. Its a mad mad world.
Regards Labbie

Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

so everyone, just be really careful :coffee:
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Yes, we all need to be careful!
I have just found out our schools insurance covers my car should I have an accident while using my car for work. It took them to look into it as well, because they were not sure, even though I have covered myself too. Get your schools to look into their insurance policies, maybe they cover your car too :thumbup:
This is another topic which we are all told a different story. :redcard:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Yep I just went and asked and she is going to follow up but the story I got as to her current understanding was;

Not covered to and from school by workers Comp.

Sign out from school and go shopping: -
My car covered by me any injury would be under third party.
Once in shopping centre car park, and out of my car, it's the shopping centre.
Once in individual shop it's the shop.

But all insurance parties would dispute who is liable. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Yep be bloody careful it's a mine field.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .. what do we do? we all ahve to do school shopping to various places...
Perhaps we need to all NOT shop on the way to and from work - but go out during the day.
I collect leaves for the stick insects on my way to work - so I would not be covered would I!
There are a LOT of us - and I think we need to have this addressed byt hte unions - teachers do also.
Does anyone have the ear of a MP who can take up our case?
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I'm the same 1/2 hour from work, I often get river water samples for work. Do I drive 1/2 hour, clock in then go 1/2 hour back to get samples who covers me if I fall in the river and drown :w00t: