A general discussion and Q & A forum.
MichelleC
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Sydney Technical High School
Suburb: Bexley
State/Location: NSW

Rock Storeroom

Post by MichelleC »

Does anyone have a rock storeroom at their school that they could send some photos of. We are planning to have one built next year and would appreciate some ideas.

Thanks Michelle
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Rock Storeroom

Post by Labbie »

Our rocks & minerals are in the chem store, in ice cream containers with lids, labeled in A_Z order. Would be lovely to have a rock store room.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

My rocks are in Takeaway food containers.
Most are fairly small , about 4 x 4 cm.
I have different coloured dobs of paint on the different types of rock.
Igneous have green paint, Metaporphic red and Sedimentary white.
The minerals have 3 different colours depending on whether they are to demonstrate the rocks such as calcite, or an ore like Malachite.
We also have a Scott Resources Mineral kit and its stones have a different colour again.
On the coloured dot there is a number. With the Ignoeus rocks Andesite has a 1, Basalt 2 etc.
This number and a picture of the rock is also on the side and lid of the take away container.
There is usually 8 rocks ( we have 8 work benches /lab) in each box. I have 2 lots of most rocks as there is always more then 1 class doing that topic at the same time.
In the store room these rock containers are in old drawers on the shelves. One lot of drawers is for the Igneous, One for Sedimentary etc.
I have deliberately got small samples as I have to carry them to the far corners of our campus. That can be over 500 metres away.

I was fortunate that my son who is now working as a Geologist in Kalgoorlie helped in the identification of some of the samples. Especially the ones we had inherited from peoples "pretty rock" collections where they had been picked up because they looked nice. He could identify the minerals that has caused the people to think they were "pretty"
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Hey Fireweb!
Do you want to loan your son out? :cheesy:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Ihave the rocks in trolleys - each prep room has a 'Rock Trolley'. Theyare from the place that make school science storage. Theya re in drawers, each drawer is a type of rock and I have divided trays in the drawers to hold the various forms fo that type of rock. I have a class set of Moh's kits on top of each trolley.
Whenever a teacher needs roocks they just wheel them into the classroom. No hassles!
Shas

Post by Shas »

fortunately we don't have heaps. :clap3: but what we do have are in buckets with coloured lids and matching coloured paper labels - one type of rock per bucket. 4 colours - met, ig, sed and minerals.
KISS!!!! :D
sounds a similar system to fibreweb but without numbers and photos.

we got the buckets from the cheap shop.

Shas