Old Chemicals

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
nahrein.yaghoubpour
State/Location: NSW

Old Chemicals

Post by nahrein.yaghoubpour »

Hi Everyone,
I have chemicals dated 1992 that are not been used and I don't know what to do with. What would you do ?

Nahrein
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Old Chemicals

Post by Lyn »

I have a number of chemicals which are fairly old and which are still in use. I have a bottle of potassium permanganate crystals which are used sparingly for convection experiments. Newer bottles of potassium permanganate have arrived in powder form which is pretty useless to demonstrate convection currents. Copper carbonate isn't going to go off and marble chips just keep on keeping on. I also have manganese dioxide which still reacts to give off oxygen. Sulfur powder remains sulfur powder no matter how old. If it looks okay in the bottle and still reacts the way it should I continue to use it.
However chemicals used for the senior practicals are as new as possible within a five year time frame (ocassionally seven). I would be happy to listen to other peoples opinions. Or to be directed to information regarding chemical shelf life.

Lyn.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Hi again,
Googled chemical shelf life and came up with two different lists. One is a draft of chemical shelf life put together in 2002. The other is a 2010 chemical list from America. Might give you something to work with. Some of this information will give me back up when I get asked why some of my chemicals appear to be so out of date.
Lyn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nahrein.yaghoubpour

Post by nahrein.yaghoubpour »

Hi Lyn,
Thank you for your help. I have 4x500g of magnessium nitrate, copper nitrate and potassium chloride. They were here before i came her and donot get used.

Nahrein
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

The American list was interesting reading - it contained a list of banned substances, most of which we happily use here in SA.
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

It's interesting that the US and Aus have different systematic approaches to Hazardous Substances. But You guy's have this topic under control with some very interesting feedback.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **