Rabbit pluck and sheep eyes

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
superbug
State/Location: NSW

Rabbit pluck and sheep eyes

Post by superbug »

Hi All,
does anyone know where I can get 10 rabbit plucks from and some sheep eyes (hopefully delivered) ? I work in the Campbelltown region NSW .
:coffee: i will be doing this until I get some replies lol.

Thanks
Superbug
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Re: Rabbit pluck and sheep eyes

Post by rae »

I get sheeps eyes from my local butcher. You could try that. As for rabbits pluck no idea maybe try your butcher too!!
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Google rabbit abbatoirs?

We get our plucks from our local sheep abbatoir. Also just about anything else we request, though often get bullock's eyes from the beef abbatoir as the teachers prefer the larger ones. Pigs eye's are the closest to human eyes, if you can find a local abbatoir that processes those.

Also try googling Dissection Connection in Gympie, Qld. They supply various beef, pig, sheep and chicken products, and may be able to help you with the rabbit plucks. They attended St Marys last year, and will send anywhere - here's an extract from the product list at that stage :-

Bovine : Eyes, Joint (Leg), Femur (Bissected), Blood (30mL vial), Heart, Reproductive pack (uterus + penis), Ovaries
Porcine : Pluck, Eyes, Livers, Kidneys, Small Intestine, Tongues, Head (Bissected), Hearts, Femur (Bissected)Foreleg, Blood (30mL vial), Testes.
Ovine : Brains, Livers, Kidneys, Blood (30mL vial)
Galline : Pluck, Head & Feet Set

Hope this helps - please let us know what you find out!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Dissection Connection is great! We recently purchased some of the piglets for dissection instead of the usual rats. They actually cost less than rats, the postage was really reasonable and the teacher / students found the bigger size easier to work with. They were so pleased we are ordering another lot. I now always get eyes from Dissestion Connection as I was sick of chasing around trying to find a butcher to supply them.

Kathryn 8-)
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

We get sheep eyes from a local butcher. We've been told we can't use bovine eyes anymore due to mad cow disease (go figure?) The butcher doesn't charge for these. Most butchers can get most 'bits' with enough notice. Failing that see if you can track down an abbatoir to get your plucks. Does it have to be a rabbit? They don't charge for them either.
superbug

Post by superbug »

Thank You everyone who responded.I have got in contact with disection connection but now its up to the boss to let me know if the prices are feasable to go ahead with the disections.

i am not looking forward to the disection of the eyes. I have a phobia about eyeballs. YUCK!!

Yeah Katheryn I know what you mean, I have enough to do, than running around butchers shops. However if it means that we go ahead with the prac I would do it, especially as Rosalie pointed out- it's for free!
thanks Again all
Regards Superbug
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

We have to pay for our bull eyes @$1.00. We used to get them for free, but apparently the abbatoir started charging the butcher because of the extra effort involved in removing them.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Our local butcher gets his apprentice to cut the eyes out of the pig carcasses, and we swap a bag full of eyes for morning tea (usually a cake). :thumbup: All part of the local community thing.
Cheers, K 8-)
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant

Post by AnnNos »

I used to get eyes from one abbatoir through the local butcher (they wouldn't deal directly with schools) but they are now charging GST for them and the butcher was putting his bit on as well. They were $2.50 each so I gave them away. They now come from another butcher who gets them fom the south coast of NSW for $1.00 ea. Plucks cost me $5.00 each. Everything is very fresh and nicely intact, even the brains.
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma

Post by Graham Kemp »

Kathryn wrote:Dissection Connection is great! We recently purchased some of the piglets for dissection instead of the usual rats. They actually cost less than rats, the postage was really reasonable and the teacher / students found the bigger size easier to work with. They were so pleased we are ordering another lot. I now always get eyes from Dissestion Connection as I was sick of chasing around trying to find a butcher to supply them.

Kathryn 8-)
Dissection Connection sounds interesting, but how can I contact them? I'm having no luck with yellowpages.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Have you tried Google??
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma

Post by Graham Kemp »

Yeeees... just after I posted. :oops: That worked. :blush2: I found the web site and have been poking around. Looks good.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Thank God we only do sheep plucks and bullock eyeballs. And Radfords abbies are wonderful. All free. And I even took cuttings from their gardens last time!