Chemical register

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
jamie
Job Title: Lab Assistant-SAO
School: Katoomba High
Suburb: Katoomba
State/Location: NSW

Chemical register

Post by jamie »

I have been on LSL(I HAVE HAD 3 OF MY CHILDREN GET MARRIED IN 11 MONTHS)
Our numbers have dropped and jobs have been taken off me.It is now the Science Haed teacher who has to do some of my work.One of the jobs is the maintaining of Chemical School Register.I am not to do the stocktake.I would like to know if it is in writing anywhere who is reponsible to stocktake.My poor Head Teacher has enough to do with out all these extra jobs.Wont tell you about the other jobs allocated,NIGHTMARE.
sunray18

Re: Chemical register

Post by sunray18 »

I thought that it was a task that was allocated by HOD or Principal.
We all assume it is our job, but I think we just do it by default
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I would have thought that as you are at the coal face in the science area, so to speak, that you would automatically have intimate knowledge of the chemicals used within your area and thus be the most suitable person to do the stocktake for those chemicals. I don't think administration would have any idea how complex a stocktake might be. However you did say School Register which is something entirely different and if you were being asked to do the register for the entire school that goes way beyond what should be expected of you.

A few years back I had to reformat the chemical register for science. It was a big job setting up the spreadsheets and adding all the extra information that had not appeared on the original register. I separated the register into different classes. Each class is in alphabetical order. General chemicals that have no class were separated again into specific orders such as carbonates, sulfates etc. These were listed alphabetically so that I could just search on a specific shelf for those particular chemicals. It made a big difference to the stocktake. So instead of one long alphabetical list of every chemical with no separation of classes, which was a real pain, I could take just the paperwork for say the flammables, listed alphabetically and check them off. Then do the same with the oxidisers etc. It made doing the stocktake so much easier to have the classes separate within the register.

Lyn.
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

our Site Hzardous Substances Register has been written into my J&P over the last 2 years....
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
dime

Post by dime »

It might depend whether you are in a state school or not. In state (DEC)schools it is one of the duties of Admin Staff to do the stocktake. Well it has been since I have been here (too long). The head teacher may be responsible, but it would be allocated to a SAO Science to do it.