Advancing up Levels

for anything else that doesn't fit.
General
State/Location: TAS

Advancing up Levels

Post by General »

Hi there, just wondering how other lab techs get to advance up the levels. I started at level 3 nearly 12 years ago and am still there. Though a Tech I know automatically advances a level after each year at his school. According to our business manager I have to apply to the principal to get reclassified. I need to prove that I have taken on more duties-at least 40 at last count. Even with the large number of duties and their increased difficulty and level of responsibility, the principal may decide that it only warrents me going up one level. Which means that to go any higher I would need to get a degree or become a teacher(who also automatically go up a level each year of experience)

So people, what does it take at you school to advance? :-?
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree
State/Location: NSW

Re: Advancing up Levels

Post by trish armstrong »

Is this a private school thing?? As i have never heard of anything like this working in a DEC school....
cheers Trish.
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

I'm in SA and my position is Level 3. This is based on duties and responsibilities within the position and not years of experience or education - there are however 'steps' within each level that you go up for each year of service. I believe that in department schools in SA this is as good as it gets. :oops: I am resigned to the fact that there is no 'up' for me as I have already progressed through all the steps in Level 3 (and I already have a wasted degree in chemistry) :cry2: . Somedays I wonder how I will last another 25 years (until I may afford to retire) :? , other days I remember that this isn't rocket science and involves very little brain work - so it's really money for nothing! :thumbup:
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

Whoooooo back there David!!!!! If you have a wasted degree in Chemistry,why are you working in a school as a lab tech? I feel that your remarks is an affront to every lab tech. who participates in this site. So take it easy mate!!!! :redcard: :redcard: :redcard:
DavidPeterson

Post by DavidPeterson »

Sorry, meant no offense to anyone. Sometimes I have bad days and wish I was elsewhere.... I admit, a background (degree and commercial experience) in Chemistry helps me out so much in this job. I don't know about your schools, but Chemical handling etc is probably the biggest part of my job, and having qualifications & background sure makes the jobs easier.

Sorry again.
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

I think I know where you are coming from David. I thought when I got this job that I was here until I retired but now after 6 years I'm not so sure. I was going to do extra study through tafe ect to do with laboratory skills but no matter what certificates you have we all get paid the same. I like the staff and students here that I work with, but yes, some days are dead boring and the same as every other day and year but that probably goes for lots of jobs.
However, this job pays the bills, I finish at 3.15 and I get paid 12 weeks holiday a year which gives me the time to work for myself every second Friday using skills I have a cert IV in and getting a diploma in and I get to fly to tassie most holidays to work at a day spa. Gotta love that.
Estelle.
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickykinz »

I find things a bit easier now I have been doing the job 4 years, maybe by the time I get to 6 I'll be bored! But when I first started I hadn't used my brain so much in years. You are expected to know about such a wide range of things, be able to come up with ideas and prepare things with a few hours notice. I really struggled and I have a chemistry degree. The last few days I have been so busy I haven't had time for a cup of tea never mind lunch so I am not getting money for nothing! :-({|= Before I did this job I was a Forensic Scientist. Everyone thinks that is an exciting job but it was soooo boring. Although the circumstances of the cases were often interesting the work we did in the lab was very monotonous and the same procedure for the same kind of case. I find this job much more varied.
I don't think I have had a job since I left uni that I "needed" my degree for, but I don't feel it is wasted. It is something that has helped me get the jobs I have and has helped me do the job.
Wouldn't say no to getting paid a bit more though!
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi General

My advice to you is ask the PCBU/principle, you never know what the answer will be!! I asked at the beginning of last term and it took a term but I was advanced to a level 4 :clap3: , I dont have to do anything extra, because I was already doing it all on level 3. Take a deep breath and just ask, mind you I didnt ask outright for a level rise, I asked what is required for me to make any advancement and if it is possible to have it explored.

David, your degree would be an asset to the whole school :thumbup:

Good luck
Lisa
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

David, there is some Rocket Science here; see thread 'Finally, what does Robb look like?' in Miscellaneous.
...and my job title :wink2:
Xe, SD, KOPR
DavidPeterson

Post by DavidPeterson »

I often don't realise that I am using my education. A lot of the info I draw upon is so ingrained that I take it for granted. I occasionally stand back and then I realise life here would be a lot more difficult without a chemical background, because my role here is very chemistry-orientated. That could be because that's the way I focus myself, to the detriment of the 'boring and less important sciences' of phsyics and biology (that was a joke by the way).
DCP 8-)
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
lada

Post by lada »

Hi David,
I have a certificate IV in chemistry and worked as industrial chemist till 1998 when company closed down. As we live on north shore Sydney, only jobs available then were out west with lots of travelling, so I chose a school. Best decision ever. 12 weeks holidays and 8-4pm daily. Love the kids and teachers ( at least most of the time) and having all this practical experience, makes this job easy. I too, say I dont use brains, but thats not right, just comes from experience. Teachers think I am the answer to their prayers and I like a bit of challenge.Have been here now 14 years, but it is time to think about hanging up the lab coat. maybe next year,
Lada
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

1-where do you all get this 'paid' 12 weeks holidays? I do get a pay during holidays but only because they average my wage for 40 weeks over the 52 weeks.. so please check that you really are bing paid for 52 weeks a year..
2 - David schools are crying out for qualified science teachers - why not use your time there to study and graduate through to become a teacher - your common sense and industry experience would be invaluable, as well as your experience as a lab tech woudl make you a joy to work with. I am an Industrial Chemist and also have found that I don't even have to think about chemistry, it just happens - but physics...grrrrr
3 - DO THIS NOW - before you get my senior years where I am facing retirement with very little money, having to find a cheap rent etc etc etc...ALL of you younger ones - think about this!
lada

Post by lada »

Hi Sunray,
I work in private school and get payed for 38 weeks, but have it averaged over 52 weeks. I knew it when I accepted this position and suited me to have the time off, I call it my pre-retirement. It is like working part time.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

lada, it IS like workingpart time (or seasonal more aptly)

Dont know how you guys (who tend to boredom,) find the time to be bored on the job.
Unless youre not wearing as many 'hats" (roles ) as I and some others have.
never a dull moment, only sitting to finish the last of my (now ) soggy salad for lunch- yes its after 3 pm and only managed two quick bathroom stops all day.
I wear cross trainers so I can scoot from one task to another in various locations,0- trouble shoot the IT/multimedia/ address yet another Health and safety issue/keep up with the pracs/new innovations/systems /ordering etc ad infinitum...
Unless you have a school that underutilises your time/skills /education?
Ask for more enriching work- they will give you the same money though but then you wont have time to think about things too much

I suggest you all come over to my school and help me out! :D
P L E A S E!
Adrianna

Post by Adrianna »

Hi Estelle
Yes do you actually get paid for the holidays? I think you will find that it is averaged over the 52 weeks. In actual fact some of us are "stood down" for the holidays. It would be nice though!
Adrianna
DavidPeterson

Post by DavidPeterson »

I get paid 52 weeks per year, and work 48 weeks - I'd love to not be able to work in the holidays (although that's the best time to get anything done - without teachers and students). I would like to still get my $62000 though! I think I could live quite nicely.....
DCP 8-)
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
linotas

Post by linotas »

I work two labbie positions, one for 52 weeks a year (with probably 1 week forced closure which we use ADOs and 1 AL) one for 39 weeks with my wage (and AL I just found out grr) averaged over 52 weeks. It works for me atm as I have 3 young kids so it saves money on vacation care and my hours are pretty flexable so I am able to pick my kids up from school 3 days a week. I too have a science degree (Biotechnology) and worked in patology for 17 years. yes it has helped and I find, for this stage of my life, the job excellent, but I couldn't do it for the rest of my working career. Once the youngest gets to school (2 years and counting :lol:) I will think about some study. Maybe a dip ed or maybe a grad. dip in OH&S, not sure yet. SOmetimes I think at neary *cough* 40, It is too late but then I realise I have 25 years left of paid employment and I cannot see myself sitting in 20 years time.

After the hectic pace of hospital labs and working 24/7 shifts, I do find this job boring at times and find myself. like now, twiddling my thumbs. :D But I figure it makes up for all those years of not being able to scratch myself! I remember one a very memorable 17 hour shift one christmas with no chance to eat or drink anything for the first 10 hours.............Busy is all relative really ;)
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

DavidPeterson wrote:I get paid 52 weeks per year, and work 48 weeks - I'd love to not be able to work in the holidays (although that's the best time to get anything done - without teachers and students). I would like to still get my $62000 though! I think I could live quite nicely.....
You get $62000??? I am moving to SA if that is the case!! Even if I worked 48 weeks I would still come in under $50,000!! I don't even get paid enough as a labbie to pay back my HECS debt (but my second job bumps me over :-( )
linotas

Post by linotas »

Rosalie, that's the wage here in Tas for level 9 teachers support staff (which is what Labbies are classified as under the Catholic Sector EBA) Generally the public award is slightly higher (but I do not know for labbies) There is no way I would do this job for what you NSW labbies get!

ETA: our levels are based on what qualifications you have (so degree and post grad get higher up on the scale) and experience/years of service. I came from industry and started at level 9. My job share who has the Lab tech diploma from TAFE but has more labbie experience (but less specific science related work experience) then me is on a lower rung.
DavidPeterson

Post by DavidPeterson »

There are several levels of SSO in SA (School Support Officer). My role is a Level 3 (Lab Manager), but typically I think most SA labbies would be 1 or 2 depending on size of school, duties, responsibilities, line management etc. - and many not full time
Hourly rates (at highest step within each level) are SSO1 $23.80 ($46550pa), SSO2 $27.70 ($54200pa), SSO3 $31.91($62500pa). The annual salary based on 48 weeks work (37.5 hrs pw), 4 weeks paid recreation leave.
As a level 3, I don't think this is too bad - but my wife thinks I should earn more......
These levels are for all SSO positions eg I'm on the same pay rate as the IT Manager & Facilities Manager and an SSO2 Labbie would get the same as an SSO2 Library Assistant.
Our School Business Manager is an SSO5 - we have no SSO4s at our school
Last edited by DavidPeterson on 27 Apr 2012, 13:25, edited 2 times in total.
DCP 8-)
RPAS (Drone) Pilot