Storage of Dilute Stock Solutions

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
labxxx
Suburb: NSW
State/Location: NSW

Storage of Dilute Stock Solutions

Post by labxxx »

Is it best to store made up stock solutions (acids, hydroxides, nitrates etc) in alphabetical order altogether or is it best to separate the acids, hydroxides into separate groups.
Jo
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: Storage of Dilute Stock Solutions

Post by RosalieM »

I have my acids together and my bases together on opposite sides of the room. For diluted chemicals, the storage rules don't really apply, but I find it easier to find things when there is less to look at (So I have all my sulfate droppers on one shelf, chlorides, nitrates on other shelves and then the other 'randoms' on another shelf, all alphabetically. Acids and bases are then separate again), then I do the same with my bigger bottles of stock solution.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We store ours in their class, Corrosive, oxidizing, etc, with the stock bottle at the back, and the smaller bottles in the front.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
dime

Post by dime »

I have all my solutions (except small dropper bottles) are in alphabetical order EXCEPT for Sodium Hydroxide, HCl, sulphuric acid and ammonia solutions. These are stored in different cupboards due to their incompatibility. Small droppers are stored in alphabetical order as well in a separate cupboard of their own. A stock bottle (if an indicator or not in the other chemical cupboard) is put behind each row (10) of droppers for convenience. It is not necessary to distinguish classes of chemicals in your preproom only those that are incompatible