Data logger for Mac OS

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Data logger for Mac OS

Post by linotas »

Does anyone know of any plug in dongle type data logger that is compatible for macs? MY HOD has left a funding proposal with me to do today whilst he is away and wants a quote for this type. I was all set to get a quote for the Vernier logger pro :-(

He is uncontactable at a curriculum meeting 2.5hrs away.
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Re: Data logger for Mac OS

Post by Lis »

Have you contacted Scientrific? We have Vernier, BUT we dont have Macs, You get a disc that you load into the computer when you buy the vernier, but again not sure if it will work on a Mac. Scientrific are good when you contact them, they are at support at scientrific.
Cheers
Lisa
linotas

Post by linotas »

Thanks Lis. The vernier is the one I know works with macs and I have just looked and they do have a usb plug and go type one. The reference to the one he gave me I cannot even find and what I can find says it is not compatible.

I think I'll just go with the one I know :)
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

We also use Go Link as well as Vernier they work well ring RAY at Scientrific on 0458 664 584 he is very good with them
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
Didee
State/Location: WA

Post by Didee »

We use Pasco probes with our Macs. We are a one on one laptop school, we have SPARK as the interface up loaded onto all 650 machines, even Yr 8s and 9s can use it. Works really well :D . Our purchases were done through Ciderhouse.
bindi

Post by bindi »

Im looking at uLog which is a software and the sensors plug into USB port. Works with Mac & Windows.
Does anyone have feedback on this product? :popcorn:
linotas

Post by linotas »

Thanks everyone. After talking to HOD today about it, he realised that it was going to be much more cost effective to go with a usb hub or hand held interface. So we decided on the new vernier LabQuest2 which has wifi and thus instant access to data for every student on their iPads/laptops. It worked out a lot cheaper then getting the required number of USB links and sensors.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Sorry, you posted this thread yesterday (Tuesday) which is my day off, and I have only just found it now.

We are a Mac school. We have found the Vernier/Lab Quest/Go-Link Data Loggers to be excellent. We have the Lab Quest unit which will take four probes at once (but not the newer WiFi one - :-( ) and we have 4 Go-Link USB dongles that connects straight to the computer (and hence Data Projector, etc.) They REALLY ARE "Plug and Play" if you have either their Logger Pro or Logger Lite (Free version of Logger Pro) software installed on your computer. The sofware works out what probe you have attached and automatically brings up the right controlls and graphs/tables, etc. All the Vernier probes seem to work with both Lab Quest and Go Link. (there might be the odd one or two that will not work with both) so you only need the one set of probes and they have a huge range of probes to choose from.

Having just raved about Vernier, I notice that for the first time in about 6 years, Data Harvest have started supporting Mac's again but even so, my money goes with Vernier. We have a stack of Data Harvest stuff that we used to use in the old days before Data Harvest dropped us, but it was NEVER as easy to use or as easy to learn as Vernier has been!

Cheers
Ian :)
linotas

Post by linotas »

Thanks Ian, thats good to know. I have seen the verniers demonstrated and they look good. I am itching to play with the added features on the LabQuest2. I love gadgets \:D/